C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collectors Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Collectors Insurance

Just got the 82 insured by AON through the Arizona AAA auto club. $16,000 value at $196 a year. :cool: This is a good but the best part is there are no mileage restrictions and I can drive it to work on occasion. I do this about twice a year.
:cheers:

Dane
Old 05-05-2004, 12:20 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Enad)

Just got the 82 insured by AON through the Arizona AAA auto club. $16,000 value at $196 a year. :cool: This is a good but the best part is there are no mileage restrictions and I can drive it to work on occasion. I do this about twice a year.

Dane
Did you get this in writing? What does "on occasion" mean to them?

[Modified by BeaterShark, 11:20 AM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Vettastic
Safety Car

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (BeaterShark)

We have Hagerty. No mileage restrictions either. $225 total per year for agreed values of $17K on the 68 and $15K on the 69.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:35 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Vettastic)

Sure, no mileage restrictions, but surely some "usage" restrictions. Here is a quote from their "Do I qualify" section of their web site:
Vehicles insured on our program must be used on a limited basis consistent with the operation of something valuable, such as club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours, and limited pleasure driving.
It looks like an occasional drive to work is out of the question.

[Modified by BeaterShark, 11:36 AM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 12:40 PM
RedShark76
Intermediate

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Vettastic)

Has anyone used Grundy
http://www.grundy.com/grundy_car_insurance.html
I was thinking about it but would be curious to hear some comments.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (RedShark76)

never mind
:beatdeadhorse:
~Jay

[Modified by Jay M, 7:46 PM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (RedShark76)

Has anyone used Grundy
they don't cover our vettes
Old 05-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Metal Wulf)

ok... I just got off the phone with Aon http://www.aoncollectorcar.com

The Max they will insure me for is $20,000 for $244 per year. I guess that is better than normal insurance, but if the car car is stolen where will I be able to find a replacement that looks good, has a new BB engine, 5 speed transmission, and interior for $20,000?

I guess I 'll go ahead with it, but I still want more.

Are there any other options?

~Jay
Old 05-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Vettastic
Safety Car

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Jay M)

ok... I just got off the phone with Aon http://www.aoncollectorcar.com

The Max they will insure me for is $20,000 for $244 per year. I guess that is better than normal insurance, but if the car car is stolen where will I be able to find a replacement that looks good, has a new BB engine, 5 speed transmission, and interior for $20,000?

I guess I 'll go ahead with it, but I still want more.

Are there any other options?

~Jay
As I mentioned above, we have Hagerty and are very pleased with them. http://www.hagerty.com/
Old 05-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Nifty 71
Burning Brakes

I use American Collectors, but when I was looking I emailed or talked to all of these companies: You should be able to find one that works best for you
http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.htm
http://www.lelandwest.com/control.cfm http://www.classicins.com/index.html http://www.hagerty.com/

Old 05-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Nifty 71)

From Leland:
Normal Driving: No coverage while driving to and from work, school or while being modified or restored by a third party.
When I called Hagerty they told me over the phone that I can't drive it to work.

I'll give classic Auto insurance a try :)

~Jay
Old 05-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I just got off the phone with Classic Automobile Insurance. They said I can't drive the car to work at all and I am limited to 5000 miles in california.

Kind of strange because this is from their website:
What kind of driving is allowed with your program?
Pleasure driving is allowed in our program. You are not restricted to parades, car shows, and club events like other programs. We encourage you to enjoy your vehicle. However, we ask that you are prudent in not exposing your vehicle to theft and vandalism by not leaving it unattended for extended periods of time, such as in a parking lot, or parked on the street for hours.

[Modified by Jay M, 3:25 PM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Metal Wulf)

Has anyone used Grundy

they don't cover our vettes
What do you mean they don't cover our vettes? I just got a quote from Grundy on my 1970 and for kicks I just got a quote on a 1978 as well.

[Modified by 70 LS1, 2:13 PM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Well AON is very good at research. Because of my post here, they have decided NOT to renew me next year.

So I am good for a year, but still need insurance with agreed value for the way I use the car. I am beginning to think that such a thing does not exist.

I assumed that unlimited mileage was the same as 6 days a week. I guess occaisonally you can drive REALLY far. But you can't make short drives often.

I guess there is no way to really know what you are getting. When a company's websight contradicts what they really offer it makes shopping VERY difficult like the example in the above post.

Here is what I have been through in the short time I have had my car:

AAA "said" I had agreed value. almost two years latter when I wanted to raise that they told me that I did not have agreed value and that they don't even offer it. So I was either lied to or just had an incompotent salesman.

I have been to a dozen collector websites half of which made it clear that there are strict limitations. The other half made it seem like there weren't any until I called and asked specifically.

After talking to several people at AON it seemed like they truly offer a plan for the way I use the car. But after speaking directly to the underwriter I found that driving 6 days a week is too much and I will be dropped next year.

So I guess next year I will be back with normal insurance.

What can I do if the car is stolen or totaled with normal insurance to get what the car is really worth? Is it possible?

BE SURE TO READ THE FINE PRINT!

~Jay
Old 05-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (70 LS1)

I remember calling Grundy, but don't remember why they couldn't work for me. I can't find it on their website, but I think the don't insure modified cars.

I'll call tomorrow and see.

As it stands, I'm under-insured and need to find something ASAP.

~Jay
Old 05-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Collector/Classic car insurance works by insuring only cars that have a limited exposure to loss. That would be cars that spend their life in a garage, only being taken out on a nice sunday for a quite drive through the country. If a car is driven to work it is subjected to a very high exposure for loss, that is called rush hour traffic.

So by having limited exposure they can offer much lower rates. That is great for those that can honor the conditions. I have three cars with collector insurance and antique registration. Without those there is no way that I could afford those cars. So for me Collector/classic insurance is great.

If you drive the car to work or drive it several days a week then you need the standard insurance policy. Need agreed value? Then talk to the regular insurance company, I am sure that they could set you up with agreed value, but it would be at a price. Say you value your car at $50K. Bet the insurance cost would be about the same for a new Vette.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 5:43 PM 5/5/2004]
Old 05-05-2004, 06:49 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Well AON is very good at research. Because of my post here, they have decided NOT to renew me next year.
This is kind of funny. I was going to reply to your earlier post saying that you probably shouldn't be on the internet saying you drive so often.

So I am good for a year, but still need insurance with agreed value for the way I use the car. I am beginning to think that such a thing does not exist.
It sounds like you use your car at least as a psudo-daily driver. It does, but varies from state to state as to who issues it and what it is called.
I guess there is no way to really know what you are getting. When a company's websight contradicts what they really offer it makes shopping VERY difficult like the example in the above post.
The state on their web site FAQ:
"B6 - How many miles can I drive my collector car each year?
There is no limitation to the number of miles you can drive your collector car. We do not however, insure vehicles intended for daily use."
I would surely categorize your use as "daily use" whether you call it a daily driver or not.

What can I do if the car is stolen or totaled with normal insurance to get what the car is really worth? Is it possible?
Call around and check with the major insurance agents. It will not be cheap, but they can write policies like that. I'm pretty sure Farmer's and State Farm do.

[Modified by BeaterShark, 5:52 PM 5/5/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Collectors Insurance

Old 05-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Jay M
Drifting

BeaterShark,

I guess you are right, but I called a bunch of normal insurance companies. None of them offer agreed value, and none have even heard of a company doing that unless it is collector insurance which has the typical limitations.

The closest thing is stated value. An inexperienced salesman will tell you it's is the same thing as Agreed value.

I guess my idea of occasional use is unique. This is only a fair weather car and I am very careful where I take it. In southern California most days are fair, and I live in one of the nations top 10 safest cities.

I'm supprised that there isn't a policy availible for me. But I would still rather risk losing the car than let it rot in the garage.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:29 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Collectors Insurance (Enad)

That's good. I went with Hagerty for $15000 agreed, no mileage restrictions, $140 a year. I bet when you adjust for geography, we are about the same.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Enad
Racer

Did you get this in writing? What does "on occasion" mean to them?
"On occasion" are my words. There are no exclusions that I could find in the policy except that I must have another "regular" use vehicle. :p: They asked if it was garaged and to send pictures (I couldn't resist :jester).

There were some exclusions for nuclear disasters, herds of charging rhinos and NO RACING! Since mine has a stock Crossfire how will anyone be able to tell if I'm racing? :lol:

Quick Reply: Collectors Insurance