C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acrlic Lacquer

Old 05-04-2004, 09:09 AM
rdfox1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Acrlic Lacquer

Does anybody know where a person can still buy Acrylic Lacquer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
R.D.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:52 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Acrlic Lacquer (rdfox1)

Try Auto Color Library [URL][http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/cmg/cmg.html/URL]
Old 05-04-2004, 11:57 AM
tom102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you cannot get Acrylic Laquer from a local PPG dealer you can order it online from the PPG website. Thats what I had to do.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:58 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Last year I picked up some lacquer at the local paint supplier. It's dupont and i picked up a quart of clear and a quart of black so they were still selling those colors at that time. I believe House of Kolor also still sells lacquer which can be bought on line or through Eastwood.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:46 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Why would you ever want to...? It would be like trying to find a new 8-track player for your new car instead of a CD.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:01 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: Acrlic Lacquer (lars)

Why would you ever want to...?
Because NOTHING beats a good lacquer job.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:28 PM
rdfox1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Acrlic Lacquer (lars)

First of all I was around when 8-tracks were popular. Why? Personal taste, better application in a garage environment, knowing that it is the paint that came on the car.

[Modified by rdfox1, 8:33 PM 5/4/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 09:48 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

But it is not the paint that came on your car. In the 80's they removed the lead from the lacquers and their durability suffered. If your car never sees the sun or temperature changes then I might use it. Today's urethanes are very user friendly and much more durable. Craig :flag
Old 05-05-2004, 12:34 AM
pacabada
Intermediate

My 69 was restored in 91 with lacquer. Only been driven 3400 miles since. It has some cracking on the crown of the front fenders. I know what your saying but it's not going to last. Urethane will be more durable etc.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:10 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Acrlic Lacquer (pacabada)

My 69 was restored in 91 with lacquer. Only been driven 3400 miles since. It has some cracking on the crown of the front fenders. I know what your saying but it's not going to last. Urethane will be more durable etc.
The cracking on the crown of your front fenders is not a paint failure. It is caused by stones being thrown up by the front tires and hitting the underside of the fender. There is about a 1 square foot area under the front fender that is unprotected and prone to damage by road debris. To fix this problem get a heavy indoor/outdoor rubber mat about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut it to the size of the unprotected area and glue it in place with Liquid Nails or another suitable adhesive. Then spray the piece with undercoating. You won't see the shield and it will prevent stone damage and stars on top of the fenders. I've done this to mine years ago and haven't had any damage to the fender tops so far. Before doing this my new paintjob lasted about 6 months before showing damage. Just a tip.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:09 PM
tom102
Instructor

I repainted my car in PPG Acrylic Laquer two years ago When researching the options I was told that I could not paint urethane over the original acrylic laquer on my 76 without stripping the car down completeley to get the old original laquer off. The orignal paint was in good condition just faded somewhat over the years with the exception of the front and rear bumpers. I shot the car in the same color as original (Mahogany Metallic) I wet sanded the car with 600 paper prior to painting and filled in a few minor scratches. Cleaned the whole car thouroughly with prep sol and applied the laquer. I really liked the results after rubbing the laquer down and the car looks very original with a great gloss. The paint is holding up just fine and I have had no problems with the finish at all.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:57 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Acrlic Lacquer (tom102)

I painted the 'Vette in DuPont lacquer back in '87. It sat in the Arizona desert for three years out in the open while I was serving overseas. When I picked up the car, it didn't look too bad from being baked for three years. I wet sanded and buffed it out to bring the full gloss back. Haven't done anything else to it since. It spends most of it's time garaged and covered but it was my daily driver for a few years so it's showing its battle scars. I don't recall anyone who's seen it, including the monthly Hills 'n' Dales Corvette gathering, saying that it looks worn. Lacquer is plenty durable for gloss but it's not armor so it's prone to stone chips and such. It's hard to beat the looks of a sanded and polished lacquer paint job. Even the pros concede that.

My other garage queen is painted in urethane base/clear. It's not bad but it doesn't have the same depth as the lacquer. It's brilliant and shiny but, again, not quite the same depth. Kind of hard to describe.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:16 PM
big632
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Acrlic Lacquer (gerry72)

For everyones info as of jan 04 all lacquer based paints are banned from production. Only leftover stock to be sold.I was a diehard lacquer fan but changed with the times. base/clear is a piece a cake,user friendly and you can make it as smooth as lacquer with effort,plus super durable.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:42 PM
triadecho
Advanced

Default Re: Acrlic Lacquer (big632)

I bought my paint a week ago and was told that lacquer was no longer available. They suggested an acrylic urethane with a hardner.

Get notified of new replies

To Acrlic Lacquer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acrlic Lacquer