C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to paint my 71

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:39 PM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to paint my 71

Need some help in deciding what to paint her.
She should be Brands Hatch Green.
She is a stock 71 roadster 350/270hp 4 speed and numbers matching as far as I can tell and have been told be other corvette owners. Never had her grade or that.
Right now she is white with original saddle interior.
I don't plan on getting rid of her in my life time.
I think the grren is O.K. but wife wants it some other color.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:41 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What to paint my 71 (John D.)

With saddle interior id go with any of the new c5 colors,magnetic red,electronblue,millenium yellow,even spiral grey. :cheers: Good luck in your choice.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:45 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have a '71 white/ saddle. I am leaning towards something in the orange family...possibly an original color such as ontario orange.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:48 PM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What to paint my 71 (shoptek)

Nice color but my wife would not like it.
Nice 71 is white the original color? :thumbs: :thumbs:

[Modified by John D., 10:49 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 10:57 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't plan on getting rid of her in my life time.
The wife or the car. :smash: :D
wife wants it some other color.
Gotta keep the purse strings happy. :boxing

If you are not interested in the stock color, paint it what you and the wife can agree on.

Terry
Old 05-03-2004, 11:02 PM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What to paint my 71 (trw)

Both the wife and the car.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I think green w/saddle interior make a great combo.....also for your car going back to it's original color makes sense for a lot of reasons. :chevy
Old 05-04-2004, 07:53 AM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What to paint my 71 (gq82)

Love that steel city grey also. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 05-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Nifty 71
Burning Brakes

Brands Hatch Green! :hurray:
Old 05-04-2004, 10:24 AM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What to paint my 71 (Nifty 71)

Nice 71 and nice color too. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 05-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 71' is white should be WBY , I thought about steel cities gray , but my dad has a mag red 00' , very nice color :smash:
Old 05-04-2004, 05:52 PM
norwegian
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 1 Post

Look at this colour. Harvest Moon Beige.( VW recept from 1967) :flag
Old 05-04-2004, 06:04 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts

I have the perfect solution for anyone afflicted with color indecision. I'm now offering my Not-So-Professional services with this onetime get acquainted deal.

I'll paint your car in a randomly applied non-pattern with any 5 colors of your choice for $100. If you want to eliminate all the hassle of color selection then allow me to choose the colors for the unheard of extra cost of only $1.

To keep the labor cost down I will not engage in any tedious, and time-consuming, masking of the wheels or trim, since the overspray only adds to the overall effect.

I can paint your car anywhere and anytime. In the backyard or on the street, on a sunny day or a windy day, it doesn't matter. I won't paint in the rain, although rain drops do produce a unique effect when you paint over them. While a certain amount of wind-borne debris will only enhance the final effect, I cannot be held responsible for any "over application" caused by the neighbor kids throwing dirt or sand while I'm painting. So it will be your responsibly to manage crowd control on paint day.

I've been told that I do my best work with a good buzz-on. Therefore if you want my very best paint job, have a fifth of good Single Malt Scotch available when I start. That, of course, is NOT included in the quote. Please have a lawn chair setup nearby, I will need to kick-back every now and then to see how my work is progressing. An artist does not like to be hurried!

I'll sign the car, when I'm finished, with my highest rated logo "KaR KrAzY KoLoRs by KeN". That in itself will probably guarantee getting pictures of your car in one of the local crusin' magazines! Remember, no two cars I paint will ever be the same - each is a unique work of signed art!

Just think - no need to pay for time consuming body work. I have studied many methods used by the great Renaissance Masters and can apply paint with a spatula thick enough to fill-in most cracks and seams. No more waiting for weeks while the body shop keeps applying filler and sanding, filler and sanding, over-and-over again. No more waiting for months for the paint to cure, then more sanding, then more painting, then more waiting. Geez, just the thought of all that work makes me sleepy.

Don't worry about "how many coats of wax" you'll need to apply when it's done. No need to fret about the "best car wax to use". Why bother with all that extra expense? Wax is wax! Just let the paint dry for a day and head on down to the local car wash at your earliest convenience. Select the "Lemon Wax" option and spray it on. Do not wipe, just let it dry to a nice sheen in the warm sun. For the next month or two just use any regular spray can household polish, like "Pledge", or whatever you can find at the local grocery store (ask the wife or girlfriend, they know about these things).

I absolutely guarantee that you'll be the talk of every Cruise-In you attend, or your money will be sadly refunded. Of course the Scotch can not be returned, and I will insist that you remove my signature logo. Warning: Without my signature logo it will be mistaken for "just another Bubba paint job" and I'm sure you don't want that!

One other thing. Touch-up is so easy any four-year old can do it. Don't worry about that dreaded "K-Mart shopping cart rash" ruining your pride and joy. By applying the age-old principle of "practice makes perfect", every nick and scratch is another chance for the young ones to gain experience.

As my personal hero Red Green is fond of saying "If the women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy". Words to live by, eh?

Remember. I'm here to help in this painful decision making process, and in the event you choose not to partake of my talents - I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

BTW: I like the Brands Hatch Green, reminds me of the British Racing Green use on the old MGs and Austin Healys.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:07 PM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What to paint my 71 (KenSny)

OMG KENSNY - that was too funny!!!
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 05-04-2004, 11:00 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I am a fan of stock Corvettes. I would paint your car the color it was painted as stock. I know this sounds like NCRS...I am not like that...I just like stock cars.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:10 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What to paint my 71 (robertmc48)

1-Ontario Orange
2-Black
3-Brands Hatch Green

My color selection in order of preference. Black wasnt offered in 71 according to my Black book, but I had to throw it in there :D

Brent...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
sjr1971
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My '71 was WBY. The paint was beat. My dad saw it for the 1st time and said "Nice car Steve, but where did it get that Baby Sh-t Yellow color from?" That was it for WBY in my mind. Painted the car a Ford color available only on mid '80s turbo coupes. Code 2U. Its a kinda red metalic and is still a beaut. Best $ I ever spent on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To What to paint my 71

Quick Reply: What to paint my 71