C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tapping noise from rear end

Old 05-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tapping noise from rear end

I have a 80. New trailing arms, shock, calipers, pads, ebrakes, u-joints and bushings. Everything is new under the rear of the car. I have put about 500 miles on it since the replacement. I have just started getting this ticking noise that comes and goes. Sounds just like an exhaust leak. Most noticalbe at about 30 mph. I will be driving down the road and hear it, take the car out of gear and the sound does not change. Rev the engine and no change. The only thing that makes it go away is when I put the brake on firmly. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Can the calipers be rubbing on the rotor or just loose pad cause the problem?

Thanks
John
Old 05-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Re: tapping noise from rear end (Jmccreary)

My bet is a loose pad. I had the same symptom on my 70 LT-1....the pad was riding up and down with each wheel rotation. Most noticable at slower speeds. New pads and turned rotor fixed it.

Bullshark

P.S. a long shot is that one of the differential drive shaft ends is wearing to the point that one of the universal clamp bolts is clipping the differential housing?????? That can happen when the shaft retainer falls off and the shaft is floating in and out of the diff housing.

[Modified by Bullshark, 9:01 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: tapping noise from rear end (Bullshark)

The underside of the studs are hitting the hold down springs on the parking brake shoes.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Re: tapping noise from rear end (wombvette)

The underside of the studs are hitting the hold down springs on the parking brake shoes.
Yeh, I thought that was a possibility with mine, but when I looked for evidence of some wear on the spring retainers, I didn/t see anything suspicious

[Modified by Bullshark, 9:33 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Default Re: tapping noise from rear end (Bullshark)

Well I inspected the drive shafts this morning and I see no evidence of anything hitting the differential housing, which is a good thing.

I just hope that it is not something in the differential. The side yoke do not appear to have any movement in and out.

I did notice the noise is more prominent when accelerating. It is like a tic, tic, tic noise with every rotation of the tire. Can not tell if it is coming from the center of the car or the sides. Sometimes the noise completely goes away, and other times it is very prominent.

J

Old 05-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Wamuscat87
Intermediate

Default Re: tapping noise from rear end (Jmccreary)

Check and see if the lug nuts are tight too :) :beatdeadhorse:

Get notified of new replies

To tapping noise from rear end

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tapping noise from rear end