C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with Cloyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default My experience with Cloyes

Bought a new Cloyes 2 piece timing cover with the adjustable cam button built into the cover. I could not get the cover to adjust my cam endplay properly, seems the locking nut would actually engage the button and push the button into the cam too far before it locked giving me 0 endplay.

I thought I would have to get the cover machined since this is the only one they sell for small blocks but I emailed Cloyes first and tried to explain the situation. Well I got a phone call from Cloyes the next day ( I wasn't home ) so the tech sent me an email that said he thought the chamfer on the cover plate was too deep ( for a 400ci block ) and he would try and find one that wasn't that deep and he would mail it to me no charge.

Well a few days later I got the new plate and bolted it on and set the endplay and everything is fine, I am very satisfied with the way Cloyes (tech) handled this and I wish other companies could look at this and learn how a class act does it. :D
Old 05-03-2004, 09:17 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: My experience with Cloyes (MotorHead)

WOW, that is pretty cool that they called you.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Awesome, I have the same cover for the roller cam conversion on the 350. Hoping to get to it this weekend.

Did you adjust it per Cloyes instructions (let the expansion rate create clearance) or did you back it off a little after contact???
Old 05-03-2004, 09:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Default Re: My experience with Cloyes (SteveG75)

I am not sure about their instructions that cam with it, I set it at 0.008" they said anywhere between 0.004 and 0.010", I might tighten it up to 0.006" :D
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish other companies could look at this and learn how a class act does it. :D
Amen to that! Often as not, you have to deal with someone that doesn't have clue or is in denial about their product having a problem. Cloyes products sell based upon their reputation for reliablity and it sounds like the people you dealt with knew that. Too bad (for them and for us) that not all companies haven't figured that out.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:29 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: My experience with Cloyes (Vetterodder)

That's great that they had a change of heart. :) About 3 yrs ago I sent them e-mail bitchen about how their timing cover should also include a warning that it doesn't fit on small blocks with the short high volume water pumps. Just so that the next person doesn't get screwed by buying one.

I never would have bought one with all the machining I had to do. I also had to machine .040 or .060 in width off of the roller button to allow for adjustment clearance.

All I got back was a e-mail telling me that they are not responcible for non-standard water pumps. I never ask that! I ask for a product warning about do to thickness of the Cloyes cast aluminum casting that it has clearance issues and that machining of the button may be required. So I called and talked to a manager about their poor responce.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this cover a few years back when it was first released. "Fits all SB" was how it was advertised. Not! After talking with Tech Service they only used one pump for they're setup. Tech told me to add an extra gaskets to space it out more! That wasn't going to happen. Being in the parts business for years and working for a large aftermarket supplier the only w/pump I found that would work was from Edelbrock. Which has more clearance behind the Impeller Plate to clear the timing cover and comes in a short style, but w/heavy duty bearings. Our pumps copied stock and they wouldn't work. Believe I tried, since I get an employee discount.

Another mention is the corners of the Oil Pan seal hit the frt. main caps and needed massaging. Guess what they're fix was. With this cover you'll also need to use a '75 up front lip seal at the pan. Fel-Pro#1880 is our rubber 1 pc. gasket, that if I remember right should fit your block.

Overall I like this cover, it just wasn't the "bolt on all SB's" that they advertised.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Default Re: My experience with Cloyes (GasketDude)

I have the same coever on my L48 in the car right now and it fit fine behind a Stewart Stage II water pump ( never really set the cam button button correctly on that one ).

Can't understand about the cam button though if they knew it was a problem they haven't fixed it yet, still impressesd with the way they handled it though, most of the time you get a tech that doesn't have a clue or the company just says "tough luck take it back to the where you bought it"

Get notified of new replies

To My experience with Cloyes

Quick Reply: My experience with Cloyes