C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers?

I have Eckler's side exhaust with a 12" cherry bomb welded in on both sides with these Sanderson headers.

I have come to the conclusion that this setup is too restrictive. I want to go with the standard long tube headers now. I have Magnaflow mufflers and debating which headers to go with..... I like the Hedman.....

I do like these Sanderson headers but I don't know how good or bad they flow..... I need more education on whether or not I will see big gains if I switch to the long tube headers or not.......

I did do a search on this but found limited info.

What are your thoughts? Will I see a big difference (how much?) if I go with the Long tubes?

Thanks,

Bob :cheers:
Old 05-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers? (Bob Turner)

Hi Bob. I know a lot of the "performance" guys here on the forum like Hooker Super Competition headers. But they're not cheap. I think the long tube headers give give you a bigger boost in HP over the shorties. Something about better scavanging effect. Maybe some of those guys will check in....namely Gainey, Mountainmotor, 69N.O.X.Rat, 7 427Hotrod amoung others.

Are you switching to an undercar system?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:35 PM
biggjimm
Advanced

Default Re: Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers? (Jughead)

Hey Bob.

I Have Doug Thorley Pro Comp tuned headers on mine and i love 'em. They have thick walls and flanges, big tubes, they are triple chrome plated and they look sweet. I was worried about installing them but they went in without a hitch. they do not touch or rub anything (except the steering column-- but that is because the first time out I busted a brand new poly something or another moter mount) I am totally satisfied with them. Got em at Jegs for about $325.00 Good luck with your decision. BiggJimm
Old 05-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers? (Bob Turner)

I'm actually running Hedman LT and am considering going to Sandersons...

It sucks having to deal w/ ground clearance. But I'm hoping that aluminum heads and other lightweight goodies for the front will help my clearance...

-Steve
Old 05-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers? (Pacin'California)

In most cases the longer the header tubes the more torque you build. Even though clearance is an issue, I would take a chance, you are leaving alot on the table with those shorties. Big Blocks LOVE to breathe. :yesnod:
Old 05-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Thanks for all of your input.

I may keep the shorties on there and get the mufflers and pipes welded in first to see where I am at. I haven't driven the car in a while and want to see how it performs with the 3.70's.... I can always change them out at a future date.....

I do believe the long tubes will deliver better performance- at the expense of ground clearance!!

Old 05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long tubes will supposedly give you a 10% gain over shorties....less restrictive due to increased velocity before it hits the collector.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers? (Summerfun)

Hey Bob :seeya

When are you going to get that thing done so you can come out and play????

We are doing a cruise up to Camp Verde this Saturday....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=790086
Old 05-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Default Re: Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers? (Desertdawg)

Desertdawg,

You are right on. I have been slacking big time. I haven't driven the car since September......... I now have the 3.70's in, replaced the Demon 850 with a Holley 750, and got another HEI distributor (the other one quit on me). All I need now is a battery to fire it up. Then, to the exhaust shop!

I apologize for not coming down to your house for the ACE event on Feb 28th. A friend of mine's girlfriend killed herself back in November, so I had to drive his truck out to San Diego that weekend..... I have his '68 Camaro in my garage- new motor, suspension, conversion to front power disk brakes, conversion to p/s. This car is almost ready to fire up. I will ALSO be driving that car back through Gila Bend to the Coast!

Old 05-06-2004, 03:06 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds like you have been busy, Let me know when your passing through, I will try to meet up with you somewhere.

And if you need any assistance while on the road, Please feel free to contact me.

IM sent with #. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers?

Quick Reply: Stay with Sanderson Shorties or go with long tube headers?