C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my Ammeter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:29 PM
kmckiou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with my Ammeter wiring

I just purchased a '73 454 4spd coupe that was being restored in '80 when the previous owner lost interest. Much of the interior is out of the car (I have most of it) and the instrument cluster is mostly working. However, my ammeter seems to be dead.

I have continuity to from the alternator side of the ammeter to the alternator connector, but have no continuity to the positive side of the battery. Since the wires from the back of the ammeter go through a wiring harness, it is only possible to trace them if I know where the exit. Unfortunately, I am not sure where the battery side wire goes after it leaves the back of the ammeter. I think it is supposed to ultimately terminate on the solenoid, but I have not contituity to it. So, there must be a connector some place that is disconnected. Any ideas?

BTW, I don't think it is the fuseable link since it will start and run fine.

Thanks,

- Kevin
Old 05-03-2004, 09:36 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: Help with my Ammeter wiring (kmckiou)

One 16 ga. wire (plain black) goes out through the bulkhead connector, turns into a 14 ga. black on the engine compartment connector side then into a 20 ga. orange fusible link wire that is spliced into the large 10 ga. red wire coming off the starter solenoid lug. The black with white stripes wire goes through the bulkhead connector and out to the "hot" bus on the horn relay.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:55 PM
kmckiou
Instructor

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think I follow everything except the "bulkhead connector". Where is that located? I suspected there was a connector block somewhere, but have not been able to find it. Is there literally a connector that spans the firewall? Or are you talking about some other bulkhead?

Thanks again!

- Kevin
Old 05-04-2004, 05:07 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

my ammeter doesnt work but it did when i bought it, is it possible this fuseable link blew?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:14 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Bulkhead connector is on the firewall driver's side, opposite the fuse block which is inside.....
Old 05-04-2004, 08:07 PM
kmckiou
Instructor

Default Re: Help with my Ammeter wiring (KenSny)

Found it! Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with my Ammeter wiring

Quick Reply: Help with my Ammeter wiring