C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 AM
multifast1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Antenna question

OK, I've search past posts and not positive I found the answer to my specific concern so I'll ask here...

I putting in a new radio (with it's own antenna turn on/off lead) and also planning on replaing the aftermarket power antenna as well. The current setup was pretty badly Bubba'ed and the antenna isn't working anyway. And this is for a '79 in case that matters.

Question is, can I totally bypass the factory antenna relay and wiring that is in the car if I'm going with new radio and aftermarket pwr antenna? Also, any recommendations on a power antenna?

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Vette-4-Life
Instructor

Default Re: Power Antenna question (multifast1)

Question is, can I totally bypass the factory antenna relay and wiring that is in the car if I'm going with new radio and aftermarket pwr antenna? Also, any recommendations on a power antenna?

Thank you in advance!
Thats exactly what i did. I put in an aftermarket stereo and i used an aftermarket power antenna, the gm correct one was twice the price. I did not use the factory relay, i simply wired to the antenna lead off the head unit, no problems going up or down. i ordered it from Wilcox and it cost $123 at the time (3/2003). Wilcox called it a "universal replacement antenna 78-82 not original" P/N is 88891020.
I did have to create a bottom mounting bracket to fit correctly. If i remember right i used plumbers strap and painted with POR15.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:30 PM
multifast1
Advanced

Default Re: Power Antenna question (Vette-4-Life)

Thank you. That's what I thought, ut wanted to make sure. Is it fairly easy to "test" a used power antenna before installing it? I took out the old power antenna that wasn't working but now that I ripped out the console and tunnel covers, I don't think the antenna relay was properly wired. It's a Harada unit. Can I just connect the wires to a 12V car battery to see if the mast will go up and down before re-installing it?? Thanks again.

[Modified by multifast1, 6:09 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Power Antenna question (multifast1)

I replaced my stock antenna (which is not powered) with a power antenna. I got the power antenna from Ecklers or Corvette Central not sure which one but they have a generic one for the mid year cars.

Then I did some searching and I found the exact same antenna model 44-PW20 for half the price at Metra Electronics out of Holly Hill, FL
Old 05-05-2004, 09:04 AM
multifast1
Advanced

Default Re: Power Antenna question (Pete76Shark)

I just ordered a Hirschmann power antenna as a replacement for the old Harada.. for under $50 including s&h. Decent deal I thought.

Thanks for the responses. I know it was a pretty basic question, but it's nice to be sure before going too far down a path. I really didn't wanna have to mess with the stock relay.. which the wiring had already been butchered from the previous owner!

Get notified of new replies

To Power Antenna question

Quick Reply: Power Antenna question