C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR Temp sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:26 AM
28buick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AFR Temp sending unit

Upon receiving new heads I realized my stock 75 temp sending unit doesn't fit in the heads. I search past topics and the solution seems to be fitting the sender in the intake manifold. When I try to do this with the edelbrock
performer manifold there is interferance between the water neck and sending unit. If I change the alignment of the water neck are there any other radiator hoses that will fit the car such as a big block? Does anyone sell a spacer to raise the water neck or are there any other solutions.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:37 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: AFR Temp sending unit (28buick)

Possibly, but it's kind of "Bubba." Go to your local home improvement center. Get a short 3/8" threaded pipe (you want it as short a possible, just a threaded pipe with no unthreaded part). Get a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter section, a second 1/2" threaded pipe and finally, a 1/2 to 1/2 pipe junction (this junction has female threads on both ends). You need the depth of the 1/2 junction to accomodate the temp sender. So you have four plumbing sections (3/8 stub pipe, 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, 1/2 stub pipe, and 1/2 junction) all screwed together that you put into the head so that you can use the original 1/2" sender.

I'm not aware of any 3/8 temp sender that will have the same value as the factory 1/2 sender. And I've never seen it mentioned here if there is such a thing.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: AFR Temp sending unit (28buick)

When I ordered my afr heads , I was not aware that the heads would not be drilled and tapped to accept the factory sending unit . I set them up in my my mill and did it my self . The alloy used to construct the heads is of high quality and will give a very good finish when drilled and tapped . I suggest you take them to a local machine shop to get this done , it is a very basic procedure and should not be costly .

geo
Old 05-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: AFR Temp sending unit (ram82fire)

Isnt there a volvo sending unit that works? I remember reading about it here.

Also Couldnt one drill a new hole and tap it for the 1/2" unit?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:13 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: AFR Temp sending unit (Guru_4_hire)

Use stock 81 Vette sending unit. It is already the right size. I am using one in my L98 heads and it is pretty close.

Get notified of new replies

To AFR Temp sending unit

Quick Reply: AFR Temp sending unit