C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for MSD experts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 09:22 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Question for MSD experts...

I'm having a problem on my ignition system of my '68... I don't know exactly what component causes that issue.. but I'm 90% sure that the MSD box (6 AL) is responsible... I drove 450 miles yesterday with the '68 and had several problems... The alternator stopped working and I had to replace it.. Another problem was that the car shut down in the middle of I-75 on the way to Satasota (where I went) and on the way back - the same thing happened... Each time - there was no spark at all at the spark plugs... After about 40 minutes trying to start the car - I got spark again and continued my drive... This has happened to me before about 2 years ago.. but I didn't check if I had a spark or not at that time... I also suspect that it has something to do with the temperature.. Each time that the ignition stopped working - it was on a very hot day (around 90 degrees with high humidity)...
Is there a circuit breaker etc in the MSD that shuts off for a period of time at a certain condition??? Does anybody know?? :confused: :confused:
Old 05-02-2004, 09:31 PM
brs6482
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (GrandSportC3)

Sounds logical, however i have ran MSD boxes and distributors for years on circle track race cars and had no problems. I do mount them as far away from any heat as possible. On my race cars i keep them in the cockpit, and on my 69 i have it under the dash on passanger side. They are very tempremental when it comes to heat. Alot of the times the MSD coils will shut down from the heat under the hood as well. That will also cause a no spark problem. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:37 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would guess that the module in the distributor may be faulty (weakest link). The distributor will get very hot, especially on a hot day. If not that, the next thing I would check would be the pickup coil in the dist if MSD's use those.
Double check all of the ground connections in the ign sys, including the motor ground
:cheers:
Old 05-02-2004, 10:13 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (brs6482)

Sounds logical, however i have ran MSD boxes and distributors for years on circle track race cars and had no problems. I do mount them as far away from any heat as possible. On my race cars i keep them in the cockpit, and on my 69 i have it under the dash on passanger side. They are very tempremental when it comes to heat. Alot of the times the MSD coils will shut down from the heat under the hood as well. That will also cause a no spark problem. Hope this helps a bit.
I might route the box to the inside and see if it happens again... It's actually pretty far away from the engine.. but I don't know if it's far enough away...
Old 05-02-2004, 10:15 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (71coupe)

I would guess that the module in the distributor may be faulty (weakest link). The distributor will get very hot, especially on a hot day. If not that, the next thing I would check would be the pickup coil in the dist if MSD's use those.
Double check all of the ground connections in the ign sys, including the motor ground
If it is the distributor - what would cause it to temporary shut down??? BTW - my distributor is a 50000 Volt Proform HEI...
Old 05-02-2004, 10:22 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

That is a common problem for HEI's. Heat usually kills the pickup coil, but it can be intermittent. If the module goes, it usually doesnt turn back on. Guess which one is more expensive...
Old 05-02-2004, 10:59 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Here is what I learned about MSD ignitions about a year ago when i Had ignition problems with my 71. Rule out all other potential problems before you suspect your box. Good thing about MSD they have a technical department you can send your box to, they will run it through all tests and can repair it if its broken. I made the mistake of suspecting the box first and paying MSD to test the box when it was perfectly fine. It did give me piece of mind and MSD did send an instruction manual with it that I didn't have before.

My problem was the pointless conversion pickup in my distributor, just as Lars suspected.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:11 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (LAvetteman)

Here is what I learned about MSD ignitions about a year ago when i Had ignition problems with my 71. Rule out all other potential problems before you suspect your box. Good thing about MSD they have a technical department you can send your box to, they will run it through all tests and can repair it if its broken. I made the mistake of suspecting the box first and paying MSD to test the box when it was perfectly fine. It did give me piece of mind and MSD did send an instruction manual with it that I didn't have before.

My problem was the pointless conversion pickup in my distributor, just as Lars suspected.
Was your problem temporary or did it permanently fail??
Old 05-03-2004, 12:14 AM
wacked
Race Director

Location: If the world didnt suck, we would all fall off. Troy,Ohio.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Mine burned out.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:12 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (wackedvette)

Are you using a rev limiter "pill"? I had a similar problem and when I removed my 5800rpm pill it started and ran fine. I have replaced the pill with a 6000rpm unit and it’s been fine ever since. If you are using a pill then remove it and drive around for a few weeks to see if your problem goes away. Good luck.

P.S. My 6AL is located on the inside rear of the passenger side front wheel well and this is the only problem I have had with my MSD setup. It also happened two to three months after I installed the MSD/engine. That was over 4 years ago.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the distributor - what would cause it to temporary shut down??? BTW - my distributor is a 50000 Volt Proform HEI...
I would suspect the ing module since I have heard of them going on the fritz when bad and the car is hot; cheap and easy to replace and if that is not the problem throw the old in the car in case the new one takes a crap, always nice to have a back up.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (Fevre)

I would suspect the ing module since I have heard of them going on the fritz when bad and the car is hot; cheap and easy to replace and if that is not the problem throw the old in the car in case the new one takes a crap, always nice to have a back up.
good idea - thanks!! :cheers:
Old 05-03-2004, 10:33 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (theandies)

Are you using a rev limiter "pill"? I had a similar problem and when I removed my 5800rpm pill it started and ran fine. I have replaced the pill with a 6000rpm unit and itÂ’s been fine ever since. If you are using a pill then remove it and drive around for a few weeks to see if your problem goes away. Good luck.

P.S. My 6AL is located on the inside rear of the passenger side front wheel well and this is the only problem I have had with my MSD setup. It also happened two to three months after I installed the MSD/engine. That was over 4 years ago.
If the problem happens again - I'll pull the "pill" and see what happens...
Old 05-03-2004, 10:51 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

It was permanent. I had erratic timing at around 3k RPM's.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Question for MSD experts... (LAvetteman)

It was permanent. I had erratic timing at around 3k RPM's.
thanks!!.. I still wonder if the module in the HEI would cause a temporary problem if it's getting hot... :confused:

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 11:46 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 12:26 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

This is that part in the HEI that will give you the intermittent failure:

Here is a link that gives you a breakdown of the HEI:
http://www.rustpuppy.org/ignition2/Ignition%202b.htm

Old 05-04-2004, 10:39 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

This is that part in the HEI that will give you the intermittent failure:

Here is a link that gives you a breakdown of the HEI:
http://www.rustpuppy.org/ignition2/Ignition%202b.htm

Thanks!! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Question for MSD experts...

Quick Reply: Question for MSD experts...