C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock carb help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Vette'78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock carb help

Hey guys I am about to switch over to an edelbrock 600 cfm carb (1406) and need to know what else I need to make this an easy swap.

From what I can see I will need part number EDL-8009 and EDL-8018. Is there anything else I will need? Thanks in advance :thumbs:
Old 05-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Edelbrock carb help (Vette'78)

I have this carb. The two ball stud kits that come with the carb are for your kickdown and accelerator cables. If your Edel carg sits atop a Performer manifold you are fine just get a carb gasket If you are using the stock manifold, you will need a carb adapter plate. Your throttle bracket, if stock you can modify it to work with the Edel setup, or you can buy an adjustable throttle bracket kit from Summit or Jegs. Outside of that I can think of nothing else.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:26 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

As info, I made this swap, and at times, I wish I would have kept the Quad.

The Edelbrock is nice because it doesn't leak and it's relatively easy to tune. The idle mixture is adjusted via two screws up front, the idle speed is a screw on the driver's side. The choke adjusts with a simple turn of a ****.

But I've noticed my fuel economy is way, way down. I honestly believe, and Lars would surely back me up on this one, the Quad is a better carb. I managed as much as 20mpg with the Quad. I get less than 10 with the Edelbrock.:eek:

As far as the mechanics of hooking the 1406 up, even I didn't have a hard time with the install. And that is saying a lot, as installing the 1406 was my first try at carb installation. The throttle linkage bolted right up. I bought return springs from Dr. Rebuild. And that was it. The only other issue, is hood spacing. I am running a very short air cleaner (the edelbrock triangular looking thing) as space is at a premium, when combined with the Edelbrock Performer Vortec manifold.

[Modified by joeveto, 7:29 PM 5/2/2004]
Old 05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Problems I had in installing a 1406 on a performer 2.0, elec. choke on my 73 big block was that I could not find an air cleaner to fit over the choke. Drop base doesn't help any. Hammered a dent in the housing, but then the air filter doesn't fit right. Also, check hood clearance. My spider web crack in the hood isn't cute. I wish I had a Q-jet.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock carb help

Quick Reply: Edelbrock carb help