C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 01:41 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions?

I have a '71 pickup small block with a 2 barrel Rochester carb. It has a classic case of a nice heavy bog at take off. It idles fine and runs fine otherwise. I did a tuneup and rebuilt the carb and replaced float - accelerator pump seems to be working fine as I can see streams of fuel shooting into carb throat.

I see some stuff in the archives regarding fuel pump as a possible problem. Anyway to check this? Any ther ideas?

Thanks in advance guys :cheers:
Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 AM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions? (R. Bruno)

I would point you in a couple of directions: First, do you have any rubber fuel hose between tank and pump? It can suck closed. Second: you may not have the correct advance on ignition timing. If your distributor is original, the bushing may have too much play and is not feeding the correct mech advance as you try to accellerate. Check this with a timing light and dwell meter by just plotting the degrees of advance at 500 rpm increments from idle to say, 3500 rpm.
I think that when you rebuilt the carb you may have gotten part of your fuel/ignition system renewed, but now highlight another less than optimum part. Lastly, it may be that your float levels are incorrect in your carb.. Hope this gives you a couple of things to look at. :seeya
Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions? (mfgaffney)

Thanks Gaffney. I will check the fuel lines first. I was thinking about the distributor also and yes, it is original. So, it sounds like I take readings of the timing at the rpm increments, and then what should I be looking for?

Hopefully, I got the float correct. I measured it carefully. I am going to go bak into the carb if all else fails.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:39 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Fuel pump should not be a problem from idle. That is when you have the most fuel available. Fuel problems usually show up under highway speeds or when climbing hills. You will have low / no power at speed, but around the streets and idle will be fine. If your fuel pump does not have enough flow to take care of the carb after idling for a while, it wouldn't have enough for when you were on the highway.

Usually it's a float level or accelerator pump problem.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:43 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions? (BSeery)

Rob sounds like an accelerator pump or maybe it just the engine crying out for a 4 barrel intake and carb :seeya
Gary
Old 05-03-2004, 04:30 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions? (gtr1999)

Thanks all. Gary, I see I can still count on a wisecrack from you. :lol: I thought it was an accelerator pu,p problem at first - thus the rebuild, but I can see the fuel squirting when I tweak the throttle and I replaced the pump plunger. So, not sure where that leads me.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:41 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

:jester
You can check a fuel pump with a vac/fuel gauge,but check the rubber hose to the pump from the steel lines. I had one kinked and collapsing on a 350. It ran fine until I floored it then it would bog and choke until the foat bowl caught up. Replaced the lines and solved the problem.
:thumbs:
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 4:42 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 07:05 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions? (gtr1999)

Thanks Gary and others. I am going to replace the lines (as soon as I get time) and see if that helps (they look original and it can't hurt).

Get notified of new replies

To Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Bogging - fuel pump? any suggestions?