C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I will never complain about working on my C5 again

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:06 AM
NavyC5
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'09-'10

Default I will never complain about working on my C5 again

Well, a fellow forum member (6318) helped me worked on my C5 about a week ago so when he asked me for help on his I figured I couldn't turn him down...plus he had beer :cheers: All I can say...I'm never doing the brakes on a C3 again. Who in their right mind would rivet the rotor to the hub. It took us hours just to get the rotors off. Finally did and the final product looked great and I figured I would share.

And BTW...this goofy SOB told me AFTER we finished the brakes that he has a new suspension coming in a couple of weeks...so guess what...the brakes have to come off.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:04 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: I will never complain about working on my C5 again (NavyC5)

hours to take the rotors off? The rivets aren't that hard...what were you using, blunt drills?? Youy guys did a nice job, and the rivets are not there for nothing the factory used them so that the rotor is aligned perfecty with the spindle, no runout.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:05 AM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did the brakes on my 81 the first time I had the same problem. It took me forever to get the rotors off. :yesnod: Once I put it back together and drove it I found out why the rotors were rivited to the spindles. To much runout will let the rotor wobble in the caliper and allow air into the system. I took trip from Utah to southern California right after I did mine and had no problems at all driving down I-15 until I got to Vegas and had no brakes at all. I went cruising into town at highway speeds, pushed the brake all the way to the floor and didn't even slow down. I got very, very lucky that it was a low traffic day...
Old 05-02-2004, 09:50 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: I will never complain about working on my C5 again (SharkByte)

What they said. It's too late to do your buddy any good, but you really need to mark the position of the rotor before you take it off so you can put it back the way it came off. As it is, it would be real good idea to check the runout on those rotors before he goes for a cruise.

BTW, you think geting the rotors off was a PITA, wait 'til you help him do the emergency brakes! :D

JB
Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I will never complain about working on my C5 again (JB)

BTW, you think geting the rotors off was a PITA, wait 'til you help him do the emergency brakes! :D

JB
:yesnod:
Old 05-02-2004, 11:59 AM
NavyC5
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-6-10 Veteran

Default Re: I will never complain about working on my C5 again (JB)

What they said. It's too late to do your buddy any good, but you really need to mark the position of the rotor before you take it off so you can put it back the way it came off. As it is, it would be real good idea to check the runout on those rotors before he goes for a cruise.

JB
The rotors we used were new so we really couldn't mark them. The wheels are still off the car so I will mention that he check the runout. I think the problem we had with the rotors was the fact that they were rusted to the hubs and they didn't want to break loose. :yesnod:
Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 PM
enforcer
Instructor

It's hard to see there, what type/brand rotors did you end up useing?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:15 PM
NavyC5
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-6-10 Veteran

Default Re: I will never complain about working on my C5 again (enforcer)

It's hard to see there, what type/brand rotors did you end up useing?
He got everything from VBP :thumbs:
Old 05-02-2004, 05:16 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now is the time to consider the O-Ring VBP piston conversion kit if they are not already installed.

For $130 for all 4 calipers, air pumping runout problems are almost entirely eliminated. Had mine for 2 years now and brakes are still as hard as the day I bled them.

Brent...
Old 05-02-2004, 09:39 PM
NavyC5
Team Owner

CI 3-4-5-6-10 Veteran

Default Re: I will never complain about working on my C5 again (MN-Brent)

Now is the time to consider the O-Ring VBP piston conversion kit if they are not already installed.

For $130 for all 4 calipers, air pumping runout problems are almost entirely eliminated. Had mine for 2 years now and brakes are still as hard as the day I bled them.

Brent...
I'm pretty sure those are the ones he got :yesnod:
Old 05-03-2004, 03:43 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Who in their right mind would rivet the rotor to the hub. It took us hours just to get the rotors off.
:lol: i always wonder why they didn't use aluminum rivets or hollow steel type.

mine only took about 1 hr to get 2 rotors off, but it took like 5 hours to get the rest of the rivet out of the hub. i took my time and used a heavy drill press, but sheesh!

ps- you might want to reccomned using some paint on the rotor hats and inner vanes or they will be rust city after a few months.

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 12:45 AM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro

Default Re: I will never complain about working on my C5 again (Turbo-Jet)

Man! What a horrible pic!!!
The first rotor's rivets took a while to get off, but once we got the hang of it...took about five min per rotor...I'll be posting pics and a tut on some of the tricks I learned as soon as I get away from the 'honey do's'
Yeah, got the VBP sleeved.

Don't know what you mean bout drilling the rivets out of the hub...everybody I know just grindss 'em down...

NavyC5 is right...problem wasn't the rivets...it was breaking the damn rotor loose from 25 years worth of rust!!! I'll post some tips on that too in the tut
Went for a drive last night...front pass brake works...that's it...I'll pull the wheels when I get a chance and see what might have gone wrong...checked what I could with them on...everything's connected...no leaks...master is full...weird...
...it'll give me a chance to Zoop Seal the wheels when I've got 'em off I guess...

Get notified of new replies

To I will never complain about working on my C5 again

Quick Reply: I will never complain about working on my C5 again