C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 10:29 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed...

One of the bolts that holds down the starter motor in my '68 broke off.. It broke off inside the engine block - so I don't see any way that I can remove the broken off part of the bolt in the engine block... What type of shops can get the broken off part of the bolt out of my engine block - so that I can bolt on a new starter? (or the old one if it didn't get damaged.. don't know yet because I haven't pulled it yet)

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 10:29 PM 5/1/2004]
Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed... (GrandSportC3)

have you tried an EZ out? One of my bolts snapped inside as i was torquing the starter down. Drilled a hole in the center and used an easy out. It came out fairly easy.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:35 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

If you can get to it with a drill you can probably drill the apropriate size hole and the use a an easy out to back the broken bolt out. You can get the easy out kit at sears.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:40 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed... (lostpatrolman)

have you tried an EZ out? One of my bolts snapped inside as i was torquing the starter down. Drilled a hole in the center and used an easy out. It came out fairly easy.
Where can I get EZ out???
Old 05-01-2004, 10:45 PM
henderjl
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with the EZ-Out. If you break the EZ-Out, you will never drill it out since it is hardened. You may be better off to drill the bolt out and put in a Heli-Coil.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:48 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed... (henderjl)

Be careful with the EZ-Out. If you break the EZ-Out, you will never drill it out since it is hardened. You may be better off to drill the bolt out and put in a Heli-Coil.
I wouldn't want to do that myself.. I'm afraid of f'n up doing that... There is some chance to mess up.. I rather pay somebody to get the piece out.. That can't be too expensive...
Old 05-01-2004, 10:59 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Try seeing how easily the other starter bolt screws in and out. If it is fairly smooth and easy, then there should be no problem getting the broken out out with an EZ out. It takes seized bolts that dont want to budge to break an EZ out. When i was drilling my starter bolt, it was so smooth that the bolt actually turned a few turns and backed farther into the block. I used the EZ out with my hand to back the broken the bolt out. Should only take 5 minutes or so to get it out.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:01 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Try seeing how easily the other starter bolt screws in and out. If it is fairly smooth and easy, then there should be no problem getting the broken out out with an EZ out. It takes seized bolts that dont want to budge to break an EZ out. When i was drilling my starter bolt, it was so smooth that the bolt actually turned a few turns and backed farther into the block. I used the EZ out with my hand to back the broken the bolt out. Should only take 5 minutes or so to get it out.
Where can I get EZ out??? Pep Boys???
Old 05-01-2004, 11:02 PM
bmar
Racer

My son broke a starter bolt on his truck and we tried a drill bit that cuts in reverse, it walked the broken bolt right out of the block. Bill
Old 05-01-2004, 11:03 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

you may want to try a left handed drill bit first. more times than not, it'll pull the bolt out while your drilling it.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:12 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed... (neverendingproject)

yes, pep boys and most other auto part stores should have EZ outs. Im not sure where to find the reverse rotation drill bits though. They seem like a good idea, I would try that first if you can find them.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Thanks for all the answers.. Will get the reverse drill bit tomorrow.. and if this won't work - I"ll try EZ-out!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 05-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Ron Major
Advanced

If your able to remove your starter, I am guessing your car is off the ground enough to reach the broken bolt. Spray the area with liquid wrench by gunk. Use a center punch and hammer to start a small indentation in the center of the broken bolt. By using a 3/8 electric drill, start with the smallest drill bit you have and keep using the next larger diameter bit until it is large and deep enough to use an extractor or easy out. You will need to then hammer the ez out in the hole you drilled. Then remember to turn the broken bolt counter clockwise with the extractor. Take your time and have plenty of light to see what your doing. Wear safety goggles! Let us know how your project turns out.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:04 AM
tx_stingray
Instructor

before you do any drilling, you may want to see if you can turn it out with a scribe first, or even a screwdriver-- you'd be surprised how much time and effort you can save if you try the simple things first.

military HMMWV's are notorious for broken starter bolts-- and they are the same size as the standard SBC bolts-- i've done plenty of them in my time in the army (probably close to 100 over my time)- sometimes you get lucky, most of the times you don't, but i've never met a broken bolt i couldn't get out.

if you have to drill, be sure to center punch first, then use a center drill, then go to a regular drill bit. once you're at the hole size needed for the ez-out, if it dosen't work the first time, apply a little heat via a propane torch-- that will shrink the bolt towards the hole you just drilled and may break it loose when you try the ez out again. if not, then keep applying heat. just be careful how much torque you apply to the ez-out-- once they break they are very hard to get out-- you can drill them, but you'll need carbide. the easiest way to get a broken ez-out out is to shatter it with a punch.

if you know someone with a welder and you trust them-- they can weld a nut to the broken bolt-- the combination of the heat and the newly added head will easily remove any bolt.

just my experience-- good luck.

[Modified by tx_stingray, 5:06 AM 5/2/2004]
Old 05-02-2004, 12:29 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I got these things at sears. Kind of like a EZ out built into a reverse drill bit. They are very slick.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00953153000
Old 05-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can I get EZ out???
Best bet would be Sears, tool supply places, Home Improvment stores.
Eddie
Old 05-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed... (The_Dude)

It never hurts to heat the offending bolt up with a propane torch and quench it with Liquid Wrench or the better GM heat riser valve lubricant. The thermal shock and fluid may help you get that sucker out of there. The starter bolt should not be that bad of a job get an ARP or Motor Mite (sold under the HELP! brand at the auto parts stores) replacement starter mounting bolt with the knurled shank to hold the starter tight!, to prevent fatigue of future bolts, and make sure you have the brace at the front of the starter to the engine block if you are not running a "mini" starter but, I would take it that you are running a "mini" on you racer. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed...

Old 05-02-2004, 12:55 AM
fnseeker
Instructor

The bolt will melt at a lower temp thanthe block or head. If you have access to a cutting torch. Just heat the bolt until it melts out. You will need to clean up the threads a little and your set to go. I watch a guy do this and paniced at first site. When he was done it was one of the simplest tricks I have ever seen. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed... (neverendingproject)

you may want to try a left handed drill bit first. more times than not, it'll pull the bolt out while your drilling it.
:iagree:
Old 05-02-2004, 09:19 AM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

If you dont feel good about trying this DO NOT !!!!!!! try the ez out.I am a machinist and have had to remove broken ez outs not an easy job.I made up a small jig that has a hardend drill bushing in location for drilling on locationto fix a friends starter while i lived in Ga.BUBBA had worked on it & had broken one of the bolts off.I need to double check to see which hole location this is made for ,I have it in my hand,it is made to fix the forward hole location.This tool is for after some one broke an ez out ,which means that a heil-coil will be needed .If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Be (CAREFUL) with the ez-out.

Quick Reply: Broken off bolt in engine block... Advice needed...