C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Nixxa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help

Sorry no pics to add today I've been hard at work until I couldn't see anymore. Then the work lights came out to see what I was doing so I could clean up because I am so sore right now its not even funny. I'm beat! :crazy:
But I have pulled off the front suspension components and steering components, along witht he rear spring, differential, and half shafts. Now the trailing arms are my trouble.....the bolt that holds them in by passing through both sides of the frame......I got the nut off, but is there some magic trick to get the bolt out??????? :rolleyes: I'm stuck and need help, this is the last thing stopping me from having everything off the frame and starting to prep to get things serviced and back onto the new frame..........help please! :seeya

I'll take some pics for ya tomorrow........and I'll get the pics to the people that I owe pics to of all the parts I'm selling, I'm parting out......more or less except for about 6 items.........anyone looking for a couple decent frame sections? Front or rear.....the middle is junk :smash:
Old 05-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Nixxa
Instructor

Default Re: 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help (Nixxa)

Ok I just read in several books of using penetrating oil....any other ideas would be helpful without resorting to cutting it off...............yes i'm talking about the bolt :lol:
Old 05-01-2004, 11:23 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

There's no way to put a beating on it due to the location. Cutting it is really the only option, sorry...
If it's any consolation, I had to cut mine out... :nonod: :sad:
Old 05-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help (72rdstr)

Just "cut" my trailing arms last week out of my '75. The trailing arm bolt rusts together(carbon fusing)with the steel collar of the trailing arm bushing making it "most" of the time impossible to remove except by "sawsalling" or a cutting torch.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Nixxa
Instructor

Default Re: 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help (72rdstr)

Stupid question....when cutting you cut on the inside of the frame between the trailing arm?????
Old 05-01-2004, 11:37 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

You cant beat on it, but you can get a small crow bar or something similar to try wedging it out. Try putting the crowbar inbetween the bolt end that is sticking out and that piece of frame and try prying it out that way, as you are doing this have a friend try lifting and lowering the trailing arm. You can also try getting the crow bar inbetween the head of the bolt and the frame and try prying it out that way, again moving the TA up and down a bit. Hopefully these methods should help.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Stupid question....when cutting you cut on the inside of the frame between the trailing arm?????
Yes, but don't cut through the trailing arm bushing itself or the "washer" of it. It's case hardened and you'll waste your time and sawsall blades. Cut right through the shims. It's also easier if your trailing arms are bare, then tied UP to the frame with wire(this is if the body is ON the frame).
Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Nixxa
Instructor

Default Re: 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help (Paul Borowski)

Just a completely bare frame with the trailing arms remaining. I am letting the oil I sprayed in soak in a bit before I try anything else again, I'm going to attempt this first before resorting to cutting them out as I'll need to find someone with a sawzall that I can borrow...... :D
Old 05-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In the same boat as you. Im going to cut off my bolts tomorrow. to get rid of those tired, 25 year old trailing arms. Im going to purchase 'C ' channel offsets from Van Steel.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Nixxa
Instructor

Default Re: 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help (Oldguard 7)

I'm def going to have to cut mine tomorrow and see what the rest of the arm looks like before I decide what I'm going to do with them......

Get notified of new replies

To 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help

Quick Reply: 79 body off update and trailing arm question.....need help