C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vin# and ID tags location

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:48 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vin# and ID tags location

I have a 1968 suppost ta be 427/435hp
have a tank build sheet ( but how s the IDENT. NO relate to the cars numbers )
also the location of all and any tags GM would have put on the car (like the vin # on the window post)
also the vin # location stamped in the frame
The car has the 6500 tach
tank sheet is correct for opt, org color ect.......... ( but how do i know the tank sheet is correct)
also Comfort and conv has a code i can barely make out
as follows ( 02N11AA I THINK SpecialOfferBAD EXH)
Any help would be great Thanks
I have enjoyed reading previous questions
and the great answers sent
really a neat place
Michael K :thumbs: :chevy
Old 05-02-2004, 04:30 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Vin# and ID tags location (kettererhouse)

I have a 1968 suppost ta be 427/435hp
have a tank build sheet ( but how s the IDENT. NO relate to the cars numbers )
also the location of all and any tags GM would have put on the car (like the vin # on the window post)
also the vin # location stamped in the frame
The car has the 6500 tach
tank sheet is correct for opt, org color ect...( but how do i know the tank sheet is correct)
also Comfort and conv has a code i can barely make out
as follows ( 02N11AA I THINK SpecialOfferBAD EXH)

I'm surprised other CVers haven't jumped all over this. First, Once a tank sheet is removed from a tank...no way to reconcile it back to the car. Can only assume it belongs to a vehicle!

Tank stickers in 68 were copies of the Corvette order so in the sense of a build sheet...it is not but it does reveal information about what was ordered.
For example the 02N11AA tells us this tank sticker came off a car that was ordered with off road exhaust.

The order IDENT number is meaningless in relation to what's in front of you and in 68, the VIN was not typed so no way to trace back to a vehicle. Now, you could reconcile the ordered options with your car to determine if both are the same. The tank sheet may have some numbers (three digits) hand-written that may be helpful one of which may be the last three digits of your VIN.

Your car should have a body paint & trim tage on the driver's side windshield post just inside of the door. Open door and look at windhsield post...a tag should be riveted. If not...well you probably have a bogus document, car, or car and document. If you have the tag, it will reveal the paint and trim codes which should reconcile with your tank sheet.

If you can post a photo...we can be more helpful...good luck!
Old 05-02-2004, 07:12 AM
kettererhouse
Instructor

hunt4cleanair
Thank you for the reply
the car has the paint and trim tag still revited too door jam dr side
the car has GM factory side pipes ( is this what they ment by off road)
and is this the only tag on the car beside window vin #?????????
The car is starting too check out ((((((yeah)))))))))
before we build a 650hp /427 I want to make sure the car is correct ( I know 435 is O-PLENTY but ive always like the outer edge
any way thanks for your reply, I was starting too think you had to be a senior member to get an answer here!
Thank you very much for your time
i will try and load a pic of the door trim tag
Michael K :chevy
Old 05-02-2004, 10:02 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Sometimes we're a little slow. Frankly, I read it yesterday but didn't understand all of what you were saying, so I figured I let somebody else jump in. I've read it again & follow most of it, though I still don't get "also Comfort and conv has a code i can barely make out as follows ( 02N11AA I THINK SpecialOfferBAD EXH)."

The frame VIN should be on the top of the rail on the driver's side kickup above the rear tire, if I remember right. Virtually impossible to see, though you can do it with some effort and a mirror. Some folks have put a piece of paper up there and done a rubbing of the number with some charcoal to get the number. The number on the pad on the front passenger side of your block down below the valve cover should partially match the number on the VIN tag if the block is original.

I'm kind of confused about what it is you're looking to find out. Whether it's an original 427/425 car?

JB

[Modified by JB, 9:06 AM 5/2/2004]
Old 05-02-2004, 10:21 AM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Default Re: Vin# and ID tags location (JB)

JB
thanks for location of frame #
I will try to trace #
I just want to make sure this car is what i was told it suppost to be before i dump BIG$ in the motor
the car is very clean 58k has org M21 trans w/ clear build date
also third member has clear build date NOT ORG MOTOR but you can eat off the frame !!!!!!!!!!!
This ((((obviously)))) is my first corvette and want too make sure its what its suppost ta be!
YES i want to know that this was org 427/435hp car
Thank you for all your input
Michael K :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Vin# and ID tags location

Quick Reply: Vin# and ID tags location