C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 door lock assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:22 PM
corvettedriver00
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 door lock assembly

having problems w/ the door lock assembly... have power windows on my 81, and whenever i locked the car.... then tried to open it from the outside of the car while it is locked... handle would go down.. and lock assembly would not allow me to unlock there after.. it takes a bit of jimmying to get open.. so i pulled off the door panels... and saw that the actuater was doin its job... but inside the door lock assembly something is wrong... (the one screwed to side of door that actually locks to the bolt to close the door)

i also really screwed up and snapped the retaining clip on the door lock assembly that attatches to the manual lock that is on the armrest... oops...

so i'm looking for some ideas... mainly on where i can purchase that door lock assembly.. but i dont want to have to sell the vette too get it.

thanks guys..

(also its on the drivers side)
Old 05-01-2004, 10:06 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: 1981 door lock assembly (corvettedriver00)

Its not adjusted correctly. You need to back off of the rod adjustment a little. It needs to be adjsuted so that it will actuate the lock, but not keep any pressure on the mechanism. Just keep shortening up on the rod until it works right.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:35 AM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

I have the same problem on my 81' I'll get it all adjusted out so the locks work perfect and it will last about 3 days before its out of adjustment again. My local Chevy dealer said he could get the assembly but they were in the range of $235.00 each which was a little more then I had available to spend at the time:(
Old 05-02-2004, 01:39 AM
stingray4me
Burning Brakes

I replaced mine on my 75. I got one used on ebay for around $60. Yeah the new ones go for over $200. They are a bitch to adjust just right. Ya got the little rods & clips that fall off & you don't have really enough room up in there to get your fingers in. Then you test it to make sure it works & it does. Then you get it all back together, shut the door & then the door wont open. :mad

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 door lock assembly

Quick Reply: 1981 door lock assembly