C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting black window trim...what to use???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 07:05 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default painting black window trim...what to use???

i have the rear window trim that is painted a satin black and of course it has some chips in it...
looks like chrome under the paint...???
i am going to remove it and repaint it and would like to strip it 1st for a smoother finish...
i know that chrome and paint do not like each other so there must be a "special paint" to use...
what might that "special paint" be...???
Old 05-01-2004, 10:22 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: painting black window trim...what to use??? (SIGNGUY)

Anything that is epoxy based.

<edit> Or to be more specific, epoxy-based material onto the stainless/chrome, then anything you want over the epoxy primer.

[Modified by tpiini, 9:23 AM 5/1/2004]
Old 05-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Signguy,

I painted the chrome trim on one of vehichles a while back. I tripped th old paint and then lightly sanded the trim and gave it a light coat of primer. I stopped at a local body shot and they sold me a can of black "Trim Paint". I tried to locate the can this morning for the manufacturer of it, but no luck. However, I believe that PepBoys or other places sell a paint made for chrome trim as well. Just make sure you don't grab the Bumper black, as it is intended for flexible rubber parts. The Trim Black should have the correct sheen and I believe that it has an additive to help it bond to the metal surface.

Ron
Old 05-01-2004, 11:57 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Sand it down real good with 120 grit or even rougher to get the old black off, then use 320 grit, maybe even 400. One of the auto stores should carry a can of Zinc Chromate Pirmer. That'll bond real good, then use can use Krylon semi gloss back. Spray light even coats and you'll get a nice back sheen with a fine texture. There are several trim black spray cans available now and I bet they'd work as good if not better than Krylon.

I haven't bought zinc chromate primer for a long time but it's gotta still be out there.

Plan on buying replacment clips for the trim to make the reinstall easy and solid.

Good luck
Old 05-01-2004, 07:06 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Mid America has in their "performance" brand a flat black anodize trim paint that is claimed to stick to even chrome.

I used it on my 82s front and rear window trim 2 years ago and they both still look like new. Its a great product and I would use it again. Of course my 82s trim was not chromed but was black. It looked pretty worn though before I painted it.

Also just taped it off so I didnt risk breaking any window trim clips.

Brent...
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: painting black window trim...what to use??? (MN-Brent)

You can probably remove the existing black paint with lacquer thinner. Then sand the metal with 500-600 and use a trim black that is made for metal trim. Both Marhyde and SEM make this product and have just the right satin black finish. You should be able to find them at a auto paint store. Craig
Old 05-02-2004, 12:02 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: painting black window trim...what to use??? (CF6873)

thanx everyone...!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:54 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Signguy,
The window trim on my '81 is aluminum(sp!!!!) which had been polished & then clear anodised (so it looks a bit like chrome) & then painted over. I found this out when sanding the old black paint off. I sanded off the anodising layer (not fun) & polished the trim as I would for any ally. It dulls off over time, or after getting wet, & behaves just like any polished aluminum on my other vehicles. Mine is definately NOT stainless (it wouldn't be so easy to rub down if it was). Sooooo....... what about getting it anodised black? It'd look fantastic, far better than paint. You'll need to get every bit of the original anodising off (otherwise the black won't "take" over it) & that's best done chemically by the people doing the anodising. The only reason that I haven't gone this route is because I spent so long rubbing the trim down & then polishing it up that I'd feel that it was all wasted time if I got it anodised!
Anyway, just an idea :)
:cheers:
Old 05-04-2004, 04:10 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,477 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: painting black window trim...what to use??? (UKPaul)

Most auto stores sell a black window trim paint. It is quite a bit heavier than most spray paints. Dried perfect, like factory new.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I used a Krylon Industrial Grade Flat Black. Not satin, but that paint is durable!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:08 AM
72 Stingray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.semproducts.com/

Get notified of new replies

To painting black window trim...what to use???

Quick Reply: painting black window trim...what to use???