C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 12:30 AM
John Dirks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank?

I did, to install the electric fuel tank on the bottom and return line on top.
The tank still looked like new inside and out but I prepped and painted the tank anyway. I have not filled it with gas yet because my project is not done.
Anyone have first hand experience out there?
Old 05-01-2004, 07:27 AM
LENNIE
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (John Dirks)

I am alittle confused on your tank project !!. I thought only 78-82 vettes used liners or blatters??. I have a 79 I am restoring and I have a liner with a few serious cracks and I cannot find a NEW tank anywhere. I dont know why nobody makes a new tank for 79-82 , they do for pre 77!!. I checked everywhere , I can only find USED ones!!. :nonod:
Old 05-01-2004, 07:44 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (John Dirks)

My 75 had a bladder and I removed it because I was welding twin outlets to the bottom of the tank. My tank was also bright and shinny inside and I never did anything with it. Most gas tanks are do not have a bladder and don't have problems with just the finish that we have in the tank to start with.
I would be worried the paint could flake off and plug the filters or inlet.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:35 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (norvalwilhelm)

Removable bladders were first used in '75. Non-removable tank liners were used starting in '78 (maybe 77, not sure). The early bladders tend to collapse and restrict the amount of fuel you can put in the tank and so most people have removed them.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (KenSny)

'75-'77 had the same tank which had the pliable rubber liner which is easily removed. I have read where '78-'82s had some sort of "hard shell" poly butylene fiberglass liner which cannot be removed. I do not know IF the liner can even be removed from the '78-'82 tanks.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:50 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (Paul Borowski)

How do you "open up" the tank to remove the liner? Isn't it seam welded?

Just yank it through the top? :confused:

-Chris
Old 05-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (LiveandLetDrive)

How do you "open up" the tank to remove the liner? Isn't it seam welded?

Just yank it through the top? :confused:

-Chris
'75-'77 tanks have an access panel on top. This "panel" is what holds your sending unit and fuel pickup. It probably measues about 11" x 17"(just a guess). Remove this panel and your bladder easily comes out.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (Paul Borowski)

The mentioned part is a "fuel cell" just like the NASCAR boys run. I think ATL has replacement bladders for your cars, I think they are a good feature worth keeping! Keeps those barbecues at bay! you could add the porus foam baffling that is used in race cells to prevent collapsing but, consideration would have to be made for the sending unit and it's travel in the tank to prevent interference with the float.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Chuck-75
Instructor

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (Solid LT1)

I read an earlier post about the bladder in the tank... after asking around I found out that they were a safety concern, the bladder was installed to keep fuel from escaping incase of a rupture . also I was told that I should not have my tank hot dipped cause there might be leaks(small pin holes that wernt there before?) and then I would have to get a new tank or have to seal the inside :eek: just my 2 cents. I dont have any problems with my 75 except that when Im on -E- theres anoughter 4 gallons in the tank?so no big issues for now.. :seeya save the wave.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:17 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (Solid LT1)

I couldn't find anything on the ATL bladder, but my search did turn up a corvette bladder at http://www.fuelsafe.com/SpecialtyApplications.html
I am in the process of restoring my '75, and definately would like to keep the bladder in my tank.... Anyone else replace it????
Old 05-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (75 BBC Stingray)

I stand corrected Fuel Safe is the provider of the OEM fit fuel cell. I would keep mine if my car had one especially if I track drive my Vette or even street drive it in this crazy world we live in!
Old 05-02-2004, 12:16 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

I would keep the liner too for safety :iagree:
Old 05-02-2004, 02:15 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (kettererhouse)

I would keep the liner too for safety :iagree:
Easy to say, but if it's a '75-77 and it's collasping then you have no choice but to remove it if you want to put more than 7-10 gals in. When I removed mine I could only get 7 gals in it for a fill up from empty.

Guess if you remove it you are driving "unsafe" like all the pre-75 cars.

BTW: The '75 bladder is really not a true fuel cell.....
Old 05-03-2004, 05:14 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank? (75 BBC Stingray)

I'm not sure exactly what the fuel safe product is, whether it is a new bladder that is installed in the old tank, or a brand-new tank and bladder item.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank?

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed the liner from inside their gas tank?