C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Last Time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:40 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One Last Time!!!

Took a long hiatius-because it seemed like this Forum reeeeely took a left turn into a direction I didn't care to go--it seemed like a lot of the old guys were gone and replaced by a lot of the "whats your favorite song while taking a left turn" crowd--my God "The Bickersons" would have been proud of the way some of the Forum members acted--if some member had a slight different opinion--he got jumped on severely--the final straw came when I believe it was MELVIN who did a fantastic thread on Fiber Optics, informative, extemely indepth and quite helpful to those of us with them--he received one reply---then a wannabe blonde made some comment about getting hard nips when she saw a Vette and got over a hundred ---BYE BYE

The last year I have been kind of monitoring and it seems like the tone is getting back to a little of the old--more informative and helpful to newcomers even though they might ask some of the old standby's "Poly or Rubber" "Who makes the best carpet" and so forth--anyway I thought I give it another try

Ganey, Gator81, MELVIN--you guys still around or did you go to the Himilayians to find yourselves
:yesnod:
Old 04-30-2004, 10:46 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (1970 Dave)

replaced by a lot of the "whats your favorite song while taking a left turn" crowd--my God "The Bickersons" would have been proud of the way some of the Forum members acted--if some member had a slight different opinion--he got jumped on severely--the final straw came when I believe it was MELVIN who did a fantastic thread on Fiber Optics, informative, extemely indepth and quite helpful to those of us with them--he received one reply---then a wannabe blonde made some comment about getting hard nips when she saw a Vette and got over a hundred ---BYE BYE
Know exactly what you mean. I wish the mods were a little more pro-active in moving OT threads to OT. That's why it is there!
And don't take this as OT bashing, I spend a lot of my internet "fun time" there; but, I definetly don't go there for advice on my car! :lol:
Old 04-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I just want to say welcome back! There are a lot of really good people here, some of the "new guys" are pretty sharp. If you don't find the answers you are looking for though, try a visit to this site: http://www.c3vr.com/default.asp
Old 04-30-2004, 11:26 PM
REDRED62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I'm not new to the forum, just going under a differnt name. (three years out and don't have a clue what my pass word was)

When someone has to start a thread asking if these wire wheels are factory, then he needs to find a new hobby. I don't care about weird stuff on Ebay, Blondes with hard nipples (we'll maybe a little), do you think my custom pipes are rad. Heck Rad... Rad to me is radiator.

Just venting,

red
Old 05-01-2004, 12:27 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (REDRED62)

Agree that the forum needs to be C3 technical related and less of a chat room with banter and trying to bait agruements with members.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:08 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (bigvette1)

Agree that the forum needs to be C3 technical related and less of a chat room with banter and trying to bait agruements with members.
We'll play this by ear, as the greater majority of the C3 population doesn't venture outside the C3 forum.

C3 is unique as it encompasses technical, engine mods, and all the other sections that are seperate in the C4-C5 forums, yes, even Off Topic is included in the C3 section.

About twice a year, we have a straw vote wheather to break out the C3 section into multiple forums, and each time the vote is a resounding no.

Let's not loose sight of the fact that there is more then just technical facts. After a while, tech will get old and stale and there is just so much that you can cover. When the questions become repetitive, just how long do you think before people get bored with the same song and dance routine? Off Topic keeps this place entertaining, is another venue to establish comaraderie and maintain friendship.

Dave, you mentioned Melvin's thread, and I remember that one well. Do you know why the two threads had such a disparaging activity? Well, for one, Melvin's topic applealed to a very select group of 68-69 owners, and if their fiber optics were in fine working order, they probably read the topic and filed it away. After all what could they contribute to what Melvin wrote. Now the blonde, btw, was a :hat , everybody jumped in and participated, and it didn't matter if one had a 68 or a 78. It was humorous and entertaining for the ones that participated. I hope you can understand my analogy. Without C3's Off Topic, C3 would die a slow death. Take a look at Factory Correct Restorations, that is a site, both technical and Off Topic, dedicated to the folks that want to maintain their rides to factory specs....yep, NCRS. There were a bunch of guys that kept FCR lively with humor and off topic rhetoric. They have left, and FCR, for all intent and purposes, is just a distant memory of what it once was. The same will happen to C3 if we only discuss technical issues.

[Modified by GDaina, 1:28 AM 5/1/2004]
Old 05-01-2004, 01:44 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (GDaina)

does anyone have the link to melvins fiber optic thread?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:18 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (GDaina)

Take a look at Factory Correct Restorations, that is a site, both technical and Off Topic, dedicated to the folks that want to maintain their rides to factory specs....yep, NCRS. There were a bunch of guys that kept FCR lively with humor and off topic rhetoric. They have left, and FCR, for all intent and purposes, is just a distant memory of what it once was.
We had lots of fun over there, I still check FCR daily but there are very few posts. It was a sad day for the CF when most of the knowledge left that section.
Don't let the same thing happen to C3....
Old 05-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (lostpatrolman)

Had a look for Melvins thread in Corvettefaq, couldnt find it? :rolleyes:
Help anybody!! :cheers:
Old 05-01-2004, 07:52 AM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (Graemeinvette)

GDaina--point noted and taken--my other complaint was the "Archives"--there were some outstanding threads done by Forum members--SuperFast80 I think did one on horsepower--very informative--BUT try and search any of those out and its like chasing an electrical gremlin in a C-3 dash--anyway to work on that area?
Old 05-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Welcome back Dave. :thumbs:

[Modified by Jughead, 8:15 AM 5/1/2004]
Old 05-01-2004, 08:25 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've experienced a number server crashes lately. It's possible either the search function doesn't work properly or that thread is lost due to the crashes.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I have been hanging around since 1999 and have seen the demographics of the C3 population change as well. But that is a natural state-of-affairs as people's interests and priorities change with time. The Forum becomes the sum total of its members' needs in terms of information, given and taken. It can be chatty at times but that certainly does not bother me. People love to speak of their new wheels, tires, seats, etc. And others are kind enough to compliment their efforts. I still find the Forum a worthwhile place to visit and enjoy the civil discussions that take place.

As you can see from the pic my priorities have taken me away from a C3 to a C2. And as a consequence I only post infrequently, based largely on my experience with a 1979 over 15 years. I do post over in the C2 area as well but it is less busy and members have a different culture. But both Forums are enjoyable spots.

As to O/T, generally they are fun to read. Many members extrapolate beyond a narrow focus (Corvettes) to share some of their other interests. That indicates to me that they have found a sense of kinship and community here. And I believe that adds strength to this board. As an example, I read with great admiration the thread concerning the member who acquired a 1956 Ford for his Father. That person has his life's priorities in order. And it indicates a strong sense of basic human values!

Welcome back!

Old 05-01-2004, 10:16 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (paul67)

Paul, that was very well written. :cheers:
Old 05-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (AGVI)

I appreciate those kind words!
Old 05-01-2004, 02:10 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: One Last Time!!! (paul67)

Oh, I agree with Ferve taht there needs to be idle chat to keep it interesting or the discussions of cam lobes gets old fast. I just don't agree that the forum is a sounding room for OT's
Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 PM
BEBOP138
Instructor

I think the Forum is a good place to look for parts, get info when needed. I don`t always respond but always look to see whats up and to take in what I need while restoring my car. For the most part I feel the group helps the new guy and gives the older members a place to pass on what they know. You get what you want out of it. In the big picture there are more important things; nice long cruises with your sweetie, good health,and a good repore with the Man upstairs... :chevy
Old 05-02-2004, 12:11 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the C3 Forum. All of my questions have been answered here. Lot's of technical help available, yet a very lively crowd. PERIOD.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:17 AM
bmar
Racer

I have been around since you had to put a nickle in the slot and turn the crank to get the forum to work. the old forum we use to frequent was notorious for flame fights. what was that site called-Larry's Corvette Forum? been to long ago and i can't remember. this place is paradise compared to what we had before. Bill

Get notified of new replies

To One Last Time!!!

Quick Reply: One Last Time!!!