C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 heater core removal

Old 04-30-2004, 10:29 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 82 heater core removal

hellooo, im over from the c4 forum trying to find some help for a friend with an 82.
hes changing his heater core and his non-gm manual doesnt have any info for it.
he says it appears to need to come out from the inside,under the dash.
is this correct?
(i havent looked at it yet at all and not familiar with c3's)
i told him he probly needs to start with the passenger seat :)
any pointers? know of any walkthroughs on the net?
(searched the archives and only found input on a 69)
thanks! :seeya
Old 05-02-2004, 10:45 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 82 heater core removal (mitymek)

guess c3 cores are built much better than c4s.this would be a common repair on the c4 forums.
:cheers:
Old 05-03-2004, 07:30 AM
stingray4me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You remove the right side panel & remove from the inside. The hose clamps are in the engine compartment side I believe. It's been 10 years since I did it on my 75.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:55 AM
JBR
Racer

I might be wrong, but I read that if the car has air then it is removed from the inside. But if no air you can remove it from the outside (engine compartment) :cheers:
Old 05-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Jim Martley2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a time consuming job. The glove compartment in the dash has to come out, the center guage cluster has to be removed so that means that the seats need to be taken out to get to the screws that hold the side covers on so you can get to the bolts that hold the shift plate in place. If memory serves me correct, there are only 4 or 5 bolts & screws that hold the heater box on the firewall. There are a few vacuum hoses that need to be disconnected also. The heater hose clamps are accessable from outside the car, underneigth at the bottom of the heater box.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
fyne82
Advanced

Hey Mitymek,

Tell your friend that it is a do-able job but it takes time and a lot of patience! Which oddly enough I don't have. It is removed from the inside, the seat, glovebox, center cluster seat, almost everything comes out. It wasn't fun but a learning experience nonetheless. I can't recall the other forum member who posted a step-by-step procedure but man was it help full. I'll go back through some of my records and if I can find the post or the printed procedure I'll post it. It was a great help and I'd recommend it to the novice or the most experienced of "wrench nut" I just replaced mine in my 82 about 1 yr or so ago. About 14-18 hrs invested but as I said I took my time, didn't get upset and of course while everything is pulled there are other things to take care of so the time could have been shorter.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:46 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

awesome,thanks a bunch guys!
he was like,"i dont mind if i gotta disassemble the whole interior to get it changed,its just that i dont want to remove/disturb anything if its not necessary to do it".
i agreed.i backed out of finding my antenna lead in my 92 coupe cuz i didnt want to dig to deep before i consult the experts here on CF!
gotta love this place :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To 82 heater core removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 82 heater core removal