C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 05:18 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work??

I broke one of the 2 fittings off of the intake manifold fitting on my 75. The fitting has two intakes, one for the tranny and one for the headlights. The fitting that broke is for the tranny. Would it be OK to put the tranny line on the unbroken headlight fitting and plug the broken fitting until I can get a replacement? The soonest anyone can get me one is Tuesday and I wanted to do some cruisin' tomorrow. :banghead:
Old 04-30-2004, 06:20 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work?? (kaz1961)

You may alos want to consider going to your local parts store and getting a "t" fitting. I did this when I was usiong a Weiand intake as I broke(stripped) the original. I had no problems. Make sure you get the right thread (I believe it was coarse) and size.

As long as you plug the broken and don't use the headlights, I don't see a probnlem.

[Modified by timbo79, 6:21 PM 4/30/2004]
Old 05-01-2004, 12:44 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work?? (kaz1961)

Headlights on my '74 use a fairly small line and they are assisted by a reserve tank . But I guess if your goning to drive in the dark it might take longer for headlights to rise - but maybe just fine.
Sorry never heard of a vacuum operated/controled trans? :confused:
Really the only equipment that uses a large vacuum line is the pwr brake booster. So a smaller line here could cause lack of breaking power when trying a hard stop. :eek:
Zip products sells nearly all those vacuum fittings and a supporting vendor too .
Old 05-01-2004, 05:54 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work?? (cardo0)

You've got a "vacuum modulator" connection on the automatic trans...controls "low speed" shifting on the THM. Shouldn't matter which "hole" you use temporarily..as long as you plug the other.

Those vacuum manifold fittings are available in zillions of configurations. Paragon's catalog has pics of all of them, as I recall. Chuck
Old 05-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work?? (Chuck Gongloff)

Chuck is correct. You can see the vacuum line for the modulator valve coming off the intake "T" at the left of the pic.

Get notified of new replies

To Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work??

Quick Reply: Broke my intake vacuum fitting. Would this work??