C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate Engine install cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 03:15 PM
82Red
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crate Engine install cost?

On top of the cost of the engine, what is the realistic cost to have a crate engine installed? Are there any other expected costs other than labor when installing a new 'complete' engine out of the Goodwrench:chevy catalog?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Crate Engine install cost? (82Red)

The long water pump that comes on some of the crate engines won't work on your 'vette. There are a bunch of other things that you probably should replace while you have the engine out. Hoses, belts etc. then you'll have to provide a fuel pump, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace your motor mounts, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor (if the motor doesn't come with one.
Then there is the cleaning and detailing on your engine bay, painting the front suspension parts, and radiator support, general clean up. You don't want to put a new radiator in a dirty old engine bay.
Lots of details that can add up to some cash if you aren't prepared. I figure I spent $500=$750 on odds and end doing my crate motor install, but I sort of went overboard and replaced a lot of stuff just because it was nasty looking.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:46 PM
L82-JWS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crate Engine install cost? (Smokehouse69)

I probably spent an additional 2000. Put ZZ4 in my 79. Speed Demon 650, water pump, clutch, flywheel, march pulleys, new radaitor, hoses, headers...etc..etc...once I had all the 'original' L82 parts out, I decided to keep them in tact, and replaced the parts accordingly. You will find that you will be tapping the cash, for little odds and ends as well. Any bolts I replaced, I went with Stainless, as an example. Plus you probably want to get a HEI curve kit, new wires...CHA CHING!! :party:

Get notified of new replies

To Crate Engine install cost?

Quick Reply: Crate Engine install cost?