C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta drill the rivets out of my rotors, what size drill bits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gotta drill the rivets out of my rotors, what size drill bits?

I am going to go buy drill bits to drill out the rivits on my rotors today. However, my car is 25 miles away and I was going to get the bits at lunch, but I'm not sure what size or sizes to get.

I have been searching through the archives and some suggest using several bits and stepping up in size as you go. Is that the prefered method or do I just get a big one and go for it?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Gotta drill the rivets out of my rotors, what size drill bits? (Ak. Mal)

I just used a punch to mark the center, drilled about 1/4" deep with a 1/4" bit, and used a chisel to cut the remaining head off the rivet, then pop the shaft out the back with a punch. MMMMUUUUCCCCHHHH easier than drilling all the way through, which I did with the first few rivets!

-Roy

[Modified by Grinchia, 11:24 AM 4/30/2004]
Old 04-30-2004, 12:25 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Gotta drill the rivets out of my rotors, what size drill bits? (Ak. Mal)

Much faster to step up. Start with 1/8" ... only drill enough to get through the
head. Once the heads of the rivets are off ... use a mallet or brass hammer
to whack the rotor off. Then they will come out of the hub easily after using a
cutoff tool or grinder to get them close to flush with the hub .... and a solid pin
punch to push them out.

For $25 more, I would have removed the hub totally and replaced the bearings/seal.

Good luck .. :seeya
Old 04-30-2004, 12:34 PM
kenko74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need to drill, they're 5/16" rivets.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Gotta drill the rivets out of my rotors, what size drill bits? (kenko74)

Thanks guys.

Are the rear rotors riveted on also?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:18 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys.

Are the rear rotors riveted on also?
Yes
Old 04-30-2004, 02:39 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I just did this an hour ago. I did front rotors off the car. Center punched the rivets,drilled out with a 1/4 drill about 1/4 down,used a cold chisel and hammer at an angle. Cut the rivet head at the diameter, hammer out the rivet body,hub and rotor separated no problem. Total time per rotor was less then 10 minutes. Drilling out the rear takes more time. If you're going to reuse the rotors then mark one of the stud holes and the stud.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Gotta drill the rivets out of my rotors, what size drill bits?

Quick Reply: Gotta drill the rivets out of my rotors, what size drill bits?