C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick alum intake clean up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick alum intake clean up.

Just want to take the little corrossion it has on it off, any recomendations? Not looking for show quality; just cheap, quick and clean. Was thinking of some wire wheels. This is a stock TPI intake.

:thumbs:
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick alum intake clean up. (Fevre)

Someone, I think signguy suggested simple green. I used Purple power sold at kraegan Auto at a 50/50 dillution came out brand new!
Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Quick alum intake clean up. (Cali,68,L-79)

Someone, I think signguy suggested simple green. I used Purple power sold at kraegan Auto at a 50/50 dillution came out brand new!
I like SG a lot and have used it on my entire engine (spray on, hose off) but I would exercise extreme caution using it on aluminum! :eek: I posted some warnings/information from the Simple Green website in another thread. MJ
Old 04-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Quick alum intake clean up. (MNJack)

I use Brake Clean for almost everything. I bought a small plastic tote and use it as my parts cleaning bin. I'm suprised at some of the stuff that it takes off. Just spray it on, scrub lightly with a Scotch Brite, then spray it again to get the loose gunk off. It dries off clean and leaves no residue.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Quick alum intake clean up. (Scooter70)

I use Brake Clean for almost everything. I bought a small plastic tote and use it as my parts cleaning bin. I'm suprised at some of the stuff that it takes off. Just spray it on, scrub lightly with a Scotch Brite, then spray it again to get the loose gunk off. It dries off clean and leaves no residue.
That was something else I was thinkingof; take it to the car wash and blast with brake cleaner, give some wire brush scrubbing then the high pressure wash.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

I used a eagle one wheel cleaner spray for aluminum wheels,it stated it was for wheels w/o clear coat.i left it on for 1 minute and rinsed off.then did again for another minute. worked excellent,but my manifold was off the car.do not know how it would work with other engine parts. :chevy
Old 04-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Quick alum intake clean up. (COMMANDER370)

Just keep away from altenator vents and directly on the distributer. I've done that plenty of times.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:38 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Quick alum intake clean up. (Cali,68,L-79)

Becarefull!! some of the "purple" cleaners will remove clear coat / clear anodize from aluminum, remove paint, and will even etch aluminum. Make sure to read the directions.

I have had a purple cleaner remove the clear anodize off some motorcycle wheels and wash the paint off the tank.
Simple Green washed some blue anodize off some of my r/c racing car parts.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

I use simple green to clean my engine compartment. Just spray it on a COLD engine and hose it off. My have to use a brush on any caked on grease.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick alum intake clean up.

Quick Reply: Quick alum intake clean up.