C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c ?? on a 78

Old 04-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Today's problem is..
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default a/c ?? on a 78

Hello everyone, I finally have my new engine, trans, rear end, front suspension and new interior in my car, so now its time for some frills! My car is a factory a/c car, but all the parts except for a few have been removed. The car has no compressor, condensor, brackets or hoses, what I do have appears to be a dryer/accumlator? and an evaporator, the dryer has what appears to be a pressure switch in it with wiring, the evap has a temp probe going to one of the lines and is wrapped in a/c insulation, I have no idea how long this system has been open like this, should i replace the evap? the orifice tube was left in it so i assume there wouldnt be any large debris in it. I know the dryer would need to be replaced. Also, where would the wiring for the compressor come from, I cant seem to find it and dont know if its been cut or not. Basically I just need to know the particular parts for this system, and I would prefer to convert it to 134a instead of r-12 since i need all new parts anyways. I dont see an expansion valve anywhere, is it built into something, or in the evap box? Any help, pictures, explainations on the a/c for this car would be greatly appreciated so I can get it nice and frosty.

---chris :steering:
Old 04-30-2004, 12:46 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: a/c ?? on a 78 (Today's problem is..)

if mine i'd contact Vintage Air for one of their systems....
Old 04-30-2004, 07:59 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: a/c ?? on a 78 (comp)

ttt curious myself :lurk:
Old 04-30-2004, 08:36 AM
90 KOTH
Intermediate

Default Re: a/c ?? on a 78 (brooksman9)

Hot Rod Air http://www.hotrodair.com/ also offers components to repair/replace/improve the C2 and C3 AC systems.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Missileman
Instructor

Default Re: a/c ?? on a 78 (Today's problem is..)

Assuming that your interior controls are intact, you should replace the missing components (still relatively inexpensive or plentiful in junk yards). You should replace the evaporator because freon converts to acid when exposed to air and moisture, so there is no telling the condition of the inside.

Get notified of new replies

To a/c ?? on a 78

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c ?? on a 78