C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on replacing AC Air Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on replacing AC Air Valve

Well it is time to fix the AC in my 1980. The problem I am having is that when the AC is on there is no air coming from the vents. I have replaced the climate control switch and have completed a pressure check on the air actuators. The defroster actuator is good and works fine. The AC Air Valve will not hold pressure and leaks off quickly and also the recirc air valve is bad. The Recirc air valve is easy to replace because it is on the passengers side kick panel. The real problem is the AC Air Valve.

I have searched this forum up and down. I have googled. I have studied the assembly manual and the more I read, the more confused I am getting. How do you get to this darn thing!!!

Last night I decided that I was going to find the AC Air Valve come hell or hight water. I think I did and it appears to be located between the fire wall and the heater box. It is the valve that has the tan stripe hose running to it. I can not see it, but I can feel it if I squeez my hand way up in behind the heater box.

So the question is: How to I replace this. Does the complete dash have to be removed? Can I just remove the gauge console and the vent ducts to access it? If so, how difficult is it to remove the dash. I have had the speedo/tach, glove box and center guage console out. How much more work is it to get the dash out? Where can I get the replacement part?

I am determined to get the vents blowing. I don't care if the whole car has to be taken appart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

J
Old 04-30-2004, 05:09 AM
keith72
Instructor

Default Re: Need help on replacing AC Air Valve (Jmccreary)

This one's tough. That valve is actually located outside the interior down in the right side of the wiper well between the door pillar and the fender. I think the easiest way to change it may be to go through there. In my 72, that's the only way to change it. Its kind of a PITA.

Maybe someone will reply if the 80 is different.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jmccreary, I think this is the little bugger that you are talking about. Unfortunately the only way I can see to get to it is the pull the heater core box out. Probably a 10 min. job once you get to it. It was easy for me because I had my dash out. Hope this helps... :smash:
www.angelfire.com/al/swhite7/temp.html

YBnormal...drive a vette
Old 04-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Default Re: Need help on replacing AC Air Valve (Ybnormal)

Thanks YBNORMAL. That is the actuator that I need to replace. I started last night dis-assembling. Got the whole dash tore appart. Took about 2 hours to get everything out. Once I had the actuator out I found that it had two small rust holes causing it to fail. I am hoping the local parts store or a dealer has the part so I can get it back together tonight. The vette does not look good with the dash removed. Must be reasembled ASAP.

J
Old 05-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Just finished the job. What a PITA that was, but there is cold air blowing out the vents! Now I can take a nice cool ride in the heat of summer.

J
Old 05-01-2004, 10:23 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

So for reference... where did you find a replacement actuator?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Default Re: Need help on replacing AC Air Valve (zwede)

Ecklers and Corvette America both have the actuator. There are three different actuators so you have to make sure that you are getting the correct one.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on replacing AC Air Valve

Quick Reply: Need help on replacing AC Air Valve