C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting advice for a 1979 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:39 AM
BurntGuitarist9
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting advice for a 1979 Vette

I was wondering if any one could give me advice on painting my vette. The old paint job is old and has cracks all over most the body, but not cracks that u can feel the paint off. I was wondering if i should strip the car down all the way and get rid of the cracks therefor eleminating the posssiblity that the new paintjob would crack. OR would it work just the same to sand down the paint, put a sealer coat of primer and then paint the car as normal. The only reason i am worried about the cracks is becuz i heard that the vibrations would cause the old cracks to crack the new paint job in time. Any Advice Appreciated thanks! :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 04-29-2004, 04:43 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Default Re: Painting advice for a 1979 Vette (BurntGuitarist9)

I am no expert, but have painted a number of cars, I have always removed all paint that is checked or cracked down to base.... but I have never worked with fiberglass.... always old-lead sled muscle cars. I have a friend who sanded "some" only on his 68 shortbed pick-up's checked paint and not even a couple months later you could see his paint job check just like it was. Don't know if that helps, but although its alot more trouble to remove it all..... It will "guarantee" the old paint "will not" ruin your new paint.

Good Luck with it!!!

Loren :cheers:
Old 04-29-2004, 09:49 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Painting advice for a 1979 Vette (BurntGuitarist9)

Remove all of it. No choice. Start sanding! :smash:
Old 04-29-2004, 12:35 PM
BurntGuitarist9
3rd Gear

Default Re: Painting advice for a 1979 Vette (TLChydraulics)

me and my brother just realized after examining the paint that the car was once black! something the previous owner did not mention :mad ,it also turns out that the car was painted white after that, and repainted white again :shocked: . Well n e ways the whole top back is sanded all the way, so i figure im going to try to sand down as much to get rid of all the cracks. Looks like i got alot of sanding ahead of me :D. thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Painting advice for a 1979 Vette

Quick Reply: Painting advice for a 1979 Vette