C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice from gymkhana owners on composite spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:55 AM
dsilver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice from gymkhana owners on composite spring

i have an 1981 with gymkhana option and would like to change to a composite rear spring. i don't want to change the frt springs at this time. i would like to know what spring rate and what brand would be the best for the setup i have now. i like the way its handles now, but like a little better ride.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:09 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: need advice from gymkhana owners on composite spring (dsilver)

[QUOTE].........i like the way its handles now, but like a little better ride. /QUOTE]

What does a "littler better ride" mean. Less harsh when runing over the pot-hoes? Or does it bounce too much now?

I was looking at my car, since I have a lot of the rear stuff removed for work and there is a 330 VBP composite spring in there now. I have an FE7 car which had the "heavy duty" 7-leaf setup. I talked to a number of Corvette spring shops and they all said the 330 composite does not behave like a 330 steel leaf spring. They would recommend a higher rate composite to replace a steel spring. BTW: I don't like the soft ride of this spring, so I'm probably going to swap it out for a steel spring ASAP.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
dsilver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need advice from gymkhana owners on composite spring (KenSny)

when i said little better ride i was talking about expansion joints and potholes
they patched. Ecklers recommented a 330 lb for my car and i think that might
be to light.
thanks for the input
Old 04-28-2004, 07:13 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all stick with Vette Brakes Springs. Your Ghm. front coils are 550 lbs springs. The compliment would be a 360 rear spring. What you might want to consider is going to a little softer springs and bigger sway bars. This will retain or even improve your handling while giving a softer ride. For this I would recommend 460 fronts and the 330 rear springs.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ecklers recommented a 330 lb for my car ...
Stock rate is 300 for your car so that should do it. (Less friction w/ a composite.)
Old 04-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I switched my 7-leaf spring with a 360 gymkhana.

It felt pretty much the same after the swap, other than needing shocks urgently. Friction on the stock 7-leaf spring acted as dampening beforehand.

-Steve
Old 04-29-2004, 09:11 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 81s with FE7 had a 9 leaf 2 1/2 inch steel spring. This spring is rated by several replacement manufacturers at 294 lbs or 260 lbs, depending on the source. I would guestimate 294 is more correct. If you want a fiberglass spring, go with the VBP as they dont seem to have the ride height issue that the TRW design springs have presently.

For the front, I dont believe you have a 550 lb spring as earlier F41 Gymkhana cars had. In the later C3s 80-82, they must have used softer springs to make the FE7 ride more palatable. In my 82s Assembly Instruction Manual, there is no differentiation in part number for the standard or FE7 front springs.

The only difference is the different rear suspension spring/sway bar install and the different front/rear shocks installed.

Brent...

Get notified of new replies

To need advice from gymkhana owners on composite spring

Quick Reply: need advice from gymkhana owners on composite spring