C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:25 AM
81blue-shark
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters

To whom it may concern:
I currently ran into a problem with my old stock 350 engine. The problem started last week when my engine start ticking and decreased in power. I was informed yesterday that I might have a bad cam and lifter that may be sticking. Being that I know very little about engine repair, I'm hoping you guys can help me make a decision on a new engine or cams and lifters? I was told that to replace the cams and lifts, there's a lot of work involved. Naturally I'm thinking it will be more cost effective to drop in a new engine then piece together my old one. Please give me your suggestions on best engines that will give me 300 to 330 hp and won't cost me my arm?
:beatdeadhorse: [IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters (81blue-shark)

It depends on how much $ you want to spend. You could replace your cam (there is only one cam in your engine), lifters and associated parts for a lot less than the cost of a new engine. &200 for new cam&lifters compared to $4000 for new crate engine (labour not included). If there is nothing else wrong with your engine than I would go that route.

If you want a little more power from your engine put in a bigger cam, a new intake manifold and some exhaust headers. Maybe a few years down the road put on some new cyliner heads... VROOOM BABY YA!

You may find that you end up enjoying learning about and working on your engine and if you buy a crate engine you won't learn nearly as much as if you do it all yourself. My friends and I have a saying - speed costs money how fast do you want to go?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:49 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters (81blue-shark)

I think you need to find out where you're starting from before you decide where you're going. Having a cam lobe go flat isn't an unusual occurance for a 350. If that's all that's wrong, swap in a new cam/lifters & have fun. You need to do a leakdown test to figure out if your pistons/rings/cylinders are doing okay. A regular compression test will be affected by a bad cam so you need a leakdown instead.

Lots of good grinds out there if a cam swap is only what you need. Just don't be tempted to go too big. You need to match the cam to the compression ratio, transmission type, & final drive ratio of the car to be happy with it. Most major cam manufacturers have tech lines with folks more than willing to answer all your questions & get you the right stick.

Hope this helps, Tom
Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 AM
81blue-shark
Heel & Toe

Default Re: I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters (Boofers)

Thanks Boofers for the good suggestions. Another question, where do you suggest I buy good cam/lifter? :iagree:
Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 AM
81blue-shark
Heel & Toe

Default Re: I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters (tpiini)

Thanks tpiini for your suggestion. What manufactures do you suggest I call for cam/lifters? I would like to increase my horse power for 190 to around 260 hp. Anymore suggestions would be great. :iagree:
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd start with Crane, 386-258-6174, and Comp Cams, 901-795-2400.

Tom

Old 04-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The forum's search feature is an invaluable tool that contains an insane amount of knowledge. I imagine you will find previous posts about this subject with advice from people much more knowledgable than me. :cheers:
Old 04-28-2004, 02:05 PM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

After doing a lot of research on a cam,i am going with a CompCams Magnum 270.p/n 12-211-2.you should consider changing lifters (p/n 812-16) and springs(p/n 981-16).i am also changing intake,carb and adding headers. i have 80 model L82.

Get notified of new replies

To I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters

Quick Reply: I need your suggestions on a new engine or cams and lifters