C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn?

I'm interested in learning more about CAD applications. Does anyone have any experience in this field?
*What is it most useful for?
*What brand/brands would be good to start with?
*How flexable is it? Can it simulate loads/show weak parts of structures?

I understand most will require some heavy hardware (computer wise) to run well and that the software is a bit spendy but I'm willing to invest if it's a skill I'll learn.

Any help would be great. :cheers:
Old 04-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (Cookwithvette)

Cook,
Which one really depends on what you want to do. I have experience with Pro/E, SDRC I-Deas, and currently work with Catia V5. They all do similar things, but when you get deep into it, they're pretty different. Right now 2 of the Big 3 (plus Toyota, BMW, and a few others) use Catia V5. I work for one of the two Big 3, designing body sheetmetal. The best way to learn is to take a class or two or three. I'd say that you should start with a general class and then you could take another in FEA if that's what you want to do with it. There are companies that do training or you could check out a local college to see if they're offering anything.

As far as cost, the CAD programs that I mentioned above are very expensive (up to $20k per license seat). There are student versions that are probably cheaper if you're not going to do any commerical work with it. You really don't need a Sun station like the one I'm writing on right now (~$20k). For most of the things that you would want to do, a 2Ghz+ P4 with a gig of RAM and a good video card should suffice.

If you have any more questions drop me an e-mail or IM. I've been working 50 hours a day on various CAD systems for the 5 years since I gradutated from college.

-Matt
Old 04-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (Scooter70)

I work with AutoCAD LT 2000 in the construction industry and basically trained myself. Once you learn the commands and basics, you can move through it pretty quick. I started off with a bunch of postie notes all over the side of my monitor.
Good luck.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:46 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (Budman78)

OK what about Joe shade tree that wants to step up his work ????
Old 04-28-2004, 10:46 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (Cookwithvette)

AutoCad is pretty flexible, as you can pretty much draw anything with it.
I used to draw integrated circuit designs (chips) with AutoCad.
Now I use a $50k Unix based package with bells and whistles.

As far as analyzing structures,etc in AutoCad ... that would be some add-on or separate
program. Go look in places like shareware.com for free or trial software.

Matt ... gotta call BS on the 50 hours a day. Sorry. Also, you must have a nice Sun workstation at $25k. I just bought an Ultra10 from Sun on Ebay ... $1500.
Probably not that powerful for 3D rendering, etc ... but it suits my 2D designs.

:seeya
Old 04-28-2004, 10:59 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (NHvette)

i figuared he working 50 hrs a week ......
Old 04-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Rbbmoose427
Advanced

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (comp)

It all depends on what you are going to use it for, but for many AEC type applications, MicroStation is best.

I'm biased though -- I work for the company that makes it...

R.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Freepop
Pro

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (Rbbmoose427)

Look to Community Colleges in you area for training, or maybe adult enrichment at your local school.

Basic 2 dimensional stuff is cheap and there are even some that you can get for free. Get some training and experience with one or two and you can figure most of them out.

3 D or solid modeling is expensive software and hardware wise, basically cost prohibative for the individual (talking 3-10 thousand dollars per seat) Then you need a very good computer whith lots of memory, good graphics card, processor, etc. Individual part models can vary from 1-40+ megabytes each.

I've been a Cad Jockey now for some 12-15 years (since Autocad 10 or 11). I was drawing on the board prior to that.

To answer your questions:
1. What is it most useful for?
2. What brand/brands would be good to start with?
3. How flexable is it? Can it simulate loads/show weak parts of structures?

1. Basic 2-D is used for some to read and make parts. 3-D parts, many tool makers can use the cad geometry to program a cnc mill, lathe, etc. to machine the part.

2. There used to be a real inexpensive cad package that was something like Autocad lite (the exact name escapes me). You can probabaly get some books with tutorials and such to help you learn the commands and get started to. Look for share ware on the net and also evalutation copies that are good for like a month.

3. Flexibily come with price. To simulate loads/weak points and such you need FEA (finite element analysis) which is an add on or seperate software that is pricy and complicated to set up.

[Modified by Freepop, 10:21 AM 4/28/2004]

[Modified by Freepop, 10:28 AM 4/28/2004]

[Modified by Freepop, 10:29 AM 4/28/2004]
Old 04-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (NHvette)

Matt ... gotta call BS on the 50 hours a day. Sorry. Also, you must have a nice Sun workstation at $25k. I just bought an Ultra10 from Sun on Ebay ... $1500.
Ok, you got me.... I'm really at work for 50 hours a week..... :D

Sun Sunblade 2000 with 2GB ram and a nice big 21" monitor. It helps to have the deep pockets of the world's #2 automaker buying your equipment.

Ay limited experience with AutoCAD says that it's great for 2D stuff but for 3D, you've gotta go to UG, Catia, or ProE. GM still uses UG (actually UG-NX), but who knows for how much longer.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Freepop
Pro

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (Scooter70)

If they are not going to stay with UG-NX, what is the next sofware(s) that they may be moving to?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (Freepop)

Dunno. I thought I had heard that EDS sold off the CAD portion of their business, so I have no idea what the future of I-Deas/UG/NX looks like. Dessault thinks that Catia is going to take over the world... We'll see. :jester In the mean time, I really like Catia since moving over to it from I-Deas a few years ago.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Freepop
Pro

I heard that about Catia about 8 or so years ago :lol:
Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

All good advice so far. Let me add mine. I think the best low cost 3D package is AutoCAD Inventor 7. While it doesn't have FEA it works a lot like Catia. It is very easy to learn. You really don't need a smoking fast computer to run it. My 1.7Ghz laptop runs it pretty good. If you keep the parts and assemblies to a reasonable size I don't think you will have a problem.

If you can find a good deal on Catia then get that because it has a built in FEA module. It will also run on a mid level computer so long as you don't have a large assembly of parts loaded at once.

What are you intentions for using it?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (burners)

Very, VERY interesting responses guys. Thank you very much! :cheers:

As far as what I'm going to be using it for... that I don't know yet. My goal right now it to familiarise myself with it and find out if it's something I enjoy. If I do like working with that sort of stuff then it's something I'll persue when I go to school. I'm 23 and made a big mistake a few years back in going to culinary school. I do not intend to make working in a kitchen a career and want to find a field I enjoy before going back to school. Also, even if I don't go for a career in this field it's something I've always been curious about and would enjoy learning how computer aided design is done.

Can these programs model electric circuits? Relays and all? I'm about halfway through dissecting a fuse and relay panel from a 2002 GrandAm and the diagram from the 75 Vette trying to figure out how I could integrate them. With EFI, electric fans, different gauges in the dash, and some obsolete seatbelt-starter interrupt system it could really use an update. I'm doing fairly well right now but my eyes are going a bit buggy trying to read my hand-drawn diagrams. Doing it on a screen (with multiple colors and such) instead of a paper copy would be great. It would be even better if it could simulate the circuit(s) in action.

Again, thanks for your help guys! :cheers:
Old 04-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Freepop
Pro

Doing 2 dimensional drawings is what basic cad is about. You can use different colors, layers, blocks (basically groups) to help you isolate and manipulate complex assemblies and mechanisms. I used to have some autocad drawings of symbols of relays, switches and the like.

Cad work is long and tiring. It usually doesn't pay real good and you sit on your butt, surfing the web, waiting for input from the Engineer. You always are working overtime and your eyes will feel like they want to fall out of your head sometimes. If your a hands on person, you won't get that behind a computer.
As in all jobs it has it's ups and downs, you may want to take an aptitude test to see what might be best for you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you and yours, all the best :yesnod:

P.S. Where is New Willmington? My Grandmother used to live in Chaleroi (South of Pittsburg)

[Modified by Freepop, 3:25 PM 4/28/2004]
Old 04-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Depending on your background and the company that you work for, the pay can be very good. I have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering and will have a free Masters in Product Development in December (the company paid 100% of tuition, books, and expenses) and make a very good salary. Yes, it isn't very hands-on which is why I don't see myself doing it forever. I've gained a few pounds from sitting on my behind all day for 5 years and my eyesight has gotten worse from staring at a screen all day; but it's still an interesting job if you like what you're working on. (And who doesn't like designing boring 4-door sedans?!?!?) :D

Cookwithvette: Drop me an e-mail. I have something that I can send you that might help you out. I guess everyone's suggestion is to take a class and see if you like it. An engineering degree isn't required for most jobs but there are some won't hire you without one. There are plenty of associate degree programs that can get you in the door. Good luck with whatever you do. :cheers:

Oh yeah, if you want to design and simulate electronics, search around the web for a program called "PSpice". We used it quite a bit in some electronics classes in college.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been a Cad Jockey now for some 12-15 years (since Autocad 10 or 11). I was drawing on the board prior to that.
I used Autocad 10 in High School on a 386 computer. And it was the hot setup back then. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn?

Old 04-28-2004, 06:09 PM
mfendley
Advanced

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (70 LS1)

When I was in High school, AutoCAD, Windows, and the 386 hadn't been invented yet . . . . .

Right now I'm using AutoCAD 2000 and some specialized CAD/CAM software to run my CNC router in my garage. It does full X/Y/Z cuts at up to 250 inches per minute. There's not a lot of materials that you can cut that fast, so I'm normally down around 10 - 15 ipm with solid carbide cutters.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:07 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn? (mfendley)

OK, now I am jealous. You have a CNC router in your garage?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:34 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Look to Community Colleges in you area for training, or maybe adult enrichment at your local school....
To answer your questions:
1. What is it most useful for?
2. What brand/brands would be good to start with?
3. How flexable is it? Can it simulate loads/show weak parts of structures?...
Freepop has the right idea Cook. You will be surprised what the local community centers have for working adults and very cheaply too. :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Kinda O/T... CAD software. Where to get and how to learn?