C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crooked steering column

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:01 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked steering column

I guess I just noticed absolutely after looking closer, always felt like it though when sitting in car. If my left hand is at 9:00 and my right hand is 3:00 o-clock, my right hand is way closer to the dash. If you were on top of my t-tops looking down at my steering column, the steering wheel is tilted or crooked.

Is this normal for a C3? I am new at ownership and haven't met anyone that owns one near my house that I can compare with. If it's not normal is it a simple adjustment of the column to the dash or rag joint?

Thanks in advance friends!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:06 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Crooked steering column (WarBound)

ttt
mine is the same way.
I Wonder if this normal also. :confused:
Old 04-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it must be normal, though to what degree I am not sure. My '80 has a slight tilt to it. Holding my hands in the same position, my left hand would be slightly closer to my chest than my right but not a huge amount.

[Modified by CVT4ME, 10:22 AM 4/28/2004]
Old 04-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Crooked steering column (CVT4ME)

Yep, it's normal. :yesnod:
Old 04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Crooked steering column (Older Than Dirt)

It is just the steering geometry of the C2/C3 body and chassis. The steering wheel has to be central to the driver. The steering gear has to be to the left (as seen from the driver seat) so as to clear the exhaust manifolds. The gear is enough rearward so that the steering column connects directly to it (not enough room for an intermediate steering shaft.)

Therefore, the lower end of the steering column has to be located somewhat outboard to attach directly to the gear. This causes the column not to be in line with the centerline of the car. Therefore, even though the steering wheel is central, it will not be square to the driver.

The C4 Corvette went to rack and pinion steering with a separate intermediate steering shaft. I would think that this would have allowed them to square the column up better in that vehicle.

[Modified by Jim Shea, 11:39 AM 4/28/2004]
Old 04-28-2004, 03:45 PM
69L68
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So its not just me.

Steve
Old 05-02-2004, 08:25 AM
WarBound
Intermediate

Default Re: Crooked steering column (Jim Shea)

Thanks everybody! I won't worry about that one now...let me see here, I' ll cross that one off the list which does help....only 273 things left to fix instead of 274 lol:)
Old 05-03-2004, 12:04 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Thanks for posting this question. My 80 has the same situation and I always thought something was out of line.Guess not. :hurray:
Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm Glad I read this also. My 69 BB coupe was in pieces when I bought it and I thought that I had installed something wrong because I could not get mine to line up perfectly either. I just wish this topic came up about a year ago because I have removed the column and reinstalled it about a dozen times trying to resolve that! :rolleyes:
Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Crooked steering column (427basketcase)

There is a minor amount of side to side adjustment that can be made on the steering column attachment under the dash. The column support bracket is held in place by four nuts (AIM UPC 9C sheet 1). If you loosen those nuts the support has a limited amount of side to side adjustment. However, that adjustment is to make the steering column lower bowl centeral to the lower pad and the lower column cover (ref AIM UPC 9A sheet 2).

There is no adjustment on the steering gear to frame attachment. So you are pretty well limited in doing anything to the steering column.

Get notified of new replies

To Crooked steering column

Quick Reply: Crooked steering column