C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gravity bleed question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:29 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gravity bleed question

My driver side rear caliper was leaking so i took it apart and rebuilt it. When i put it back together all i did was add more new fluid to the MC and open one bleeder at a time until fluid came out. Did i do it right? The brakes still feel a little spongy.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:42 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: gravity bleed question (battsup)

Depends...did the MC run dry before you added the fluid?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:59 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: gravity bleed question (GDaina)

C3 brakes are a PITA. No matter how hard I tried, gravity bleeding did not give me the "firm" feel. I ended up per the forum's assistance in using a pressure bleeder which attaches to the Master cylinder. Since then, anytime I mhave done work and needed to bleed, I have used this and never once had an issue with spongy feel. The pressure bleeder was abouot $60.00, but I use it on all vehicles. Don't waste your $$ on the junk bleeders they sell at Kragen's, Checkers, etc. The ones that have the pressure pistol grip and use fish tank hose.. Just my .02 :flag
Old 04-27-2004, 10:20 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the master cylinder didnt run dry at any point

Depends...did the MC run dry before you added the fluid?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:26 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you should be able to just bleed that caliper....as the caliper is bleeding slightly tap it with a hammer, will dislodge any trapped air bubbles.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Give the brake pedal a very SLOW push with the top cover bail springs removed and the cover gasket seal broken before attempting to gravity bleed. The last step should be a re-bleed after warming up the brake sysem with a short drive as there can be air trapped in the caliper that will dislodge and rise to the top with the vibration and heat of useage. You should then have a VERY FIRM pedal after making the effort, I know it is time consuming but, this method is worth the effort.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:55 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced both rear calipers this past weekend and had a heck of a time getting the air out. Luckily I had a friend to help pump the brakes the old fashion way. We tried for a long time but still couldn't get a good petal. Finally we gave up that afternoon. The next day, we tried again and in just a couple of minutes we got it right. I suspect that we had an air bubble somewhere that settled out during the night. Best bet is to have a friend help and bleed all calipers in the recommended procedure of 1) driver rear, 2) passenger rear, 3) passenger front and 4) driver front. Bleed a couple of times and I bet you'll get the petal you want. :cheers:
Old 04-28-2004, 09:38 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

I just put power brakes on my originally non-power '70. I'm convinced that a new/dry master cylinder may be the worst fate a C3 owner can face. Even with proper bench bleeding I'm on my 3rd re-bleed of the rear brakes. LOTS of air in the system, and it's just the nature of the beast that the air is a bee-atch to get out. Drive & re-bleed, drive & re-bleed, drive & re-bleed, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To gravity bleed question

Quick Reply: gravity bleed question