C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas?

I have a hard time swallowing paying $200-plus for a bunch of rubber and foam. I'm not picky about perfect fitment - I'd just rather not come out to a puddle of water on my seat in the morning after a decent rain.

Has anyone used "non-molded" weatherstripping? Like the kind you can buy at AutoZone in a roll? I hear enough complaining about our cars leaking, and have heard enough bad stories about the 'vette-specific stuff that I'm fairly convinced that someone has done better. People on this forum seem to be pretty creative when it comes to doing things better than stock!

Sometime this summer (when final papers are done!!!) I will probably just rip some of my shot weatherstripping out and replace it with some cheapo stuff, and see how it works. It honestly can't be any worse than what I have now!

Ben
Old 04-27-2004, 05:57 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

Default Re: Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas? (Ben's75)

I am in the middle of doing my $200 package. I cannot honestly say to try the roll type stuff. After you receive the molded stuff you come to appreciate the value and how much effort goes into the pieces. I thought it was high at first, not anymore...especially when you consider some pieces have the metal backing plate inside too...and with holes already. So far my two rear side window pieces, one door and one windshield piece are on and they fit like a glove. I can't wait to finish and road/car wash test it.

Hope that helps with what you asked...btw I got my stuff from Wilcox and it is made by Misauga Rubber in Michigan....very nice stuff indeed:)
Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

Default Re: Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas? (WarBound)

Thanks, Warbound - if I order, I'll order from Wilcox for sure - I haven't found anyone cheaper. Let me know how it works when you're done - $200 is obviously one of the cheaper kits, and I would love to know if it keeps out water.

Ben
Old 04-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Viken
Advanced

Default Re: Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas? (Ben's75)

i've been looking for something else, as well... i bought a complete molded set from mad, but in my opinion, it sucks... the rubber is just too hard at the thick areas around the door... i tried slimming it down, but it still puts outward pressure on the latch, thus making the door unnaturally hard to open...
Old 04-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

Default Re: Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas? (Viken)

See, that's what I mean - I would be SO pizzed if I paid that kind of change, and it didn't fit well. For $40 bucks, I bet I could make something that doesn't fit well! :lolg:

Ben
Old 04-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Viken
Advanced

i completely agree... i've actually purhcased one full kit, and have bought another door set since then... and so far i think i'm better off with no weatherstrip at all... any others out there with suggestions or better experiences? when i've had the strip on, it's both hard to open the door and very hard to close it... pretty embarrassing giving people rides and telling them that they need to slam the door on their way out...
Old 04-28-2004, 10:49 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas? (Viken)

I would like to know if anybody has messed with this too because i just need to do the weatherstripping on the a pillar and on the front of the door: and i limit myself to driving when it is only sunny out because i dont want the car to get filled up with water.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:33 AM
weendoggy
Racer

Default Re: Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas? (battsup)

I replaced mine a few years back with some "generic" kit from a website. It fit great, BUT, it had the exact problem you're all having. Try powering up a window with hard rubber. It sticks and stops because of the solid core stuff. I finally took that off, installed OEM stuff and the window and doors work great. You have to have the hollow center for it to work right. It needs to be subtle enough to allow the friction of windows and doors to seal up as well. I think I spent $200 for both upper pillar sections for both doors. Yeah, it's a lot, but it works!

I still have the generic one around the door itself which poses no problem. The "T" tops will most likely get changed this year. After pulling them off to get some "air time", they seem to be molded into one shape and seem to leak just a tad when I wash the car. No bad, just a drop on the seat, but it bugs me. This is my daily driver and I don't care if it's poorin' rain outside, it goes out.

So, my suggestion is to "bite the bullet" and get the good stuff. Otherwise, you'll be miserable fighting the other stuff. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas?

Quick Reply: Generic weatherstripping? Downsides? Anyone have clever ideas?