C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering box rebuild

Those of you rebuilding your boxes, how are you removing the old bushings for the pitman arm? I don't have a machine shop, but will be taking the pitman shaft off to the local shop for a polish and some custom fit bushings to be fitted, but I was planning on removing the old goodies myself...until I realized that I don't know how, without possibly damaging the steering box cast case...

Old 04-27-2004, 04:54 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: Steering box rebuild (Grinchia)

You can do it at home. I made up a tool that works and you can too. Get some washers the samw size OD as the bushing-1.250" bolt them together and grind a flat on one side. Now with everything out slip the "tool" in between the 2 bushings and flip it so it sits on the edge of the bushings OD. Use a long rod and hammer the bushings out. To install I use a piece of steel I turned down to support the ID and press againt the OD and press or hammer them in the housing. The rod will support them and prevent them from collapsing. what are they going to make the bushing out of 660 bronze or oiliite bronze? I've used both, with using the 660(which is better bearing material) I cut in oil grooves so the grease will work down around the shaft. Be careful they don't polish too much of the shaft you do have a seal that ride on the end above the pitman arm. The shafts are a little under 1.125"
OD.
Gary
Old 04-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Steering box rebuild (gtr1999)

Thanks for the info! The shaft doesn't look too bad (although there's some pitting on the big teeth at the top...water in the steering box sometime during the past 36 years! The meshing surfaces of teeth themselves look a bit grungy in one small area but I don't thing it will affect function any...I really don't want to buy a new pitmann shaft! The worm gear is looking pristine. I figured probably .001-.002 off the shaft will be plenty, so hopefully I won't have leakage problems at the seals. I'll be using the good old grease rather than something newer and less viscous.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:10 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Default Re: Steering box rebuild (Grinchia)

Glad to help, I use the Mobil 1 red grease in the boxes. You might want to check with corvette steering, I was told they sell undersize bushings that might be all you need and save you a trip to your machine shop.
Gary
Old 04-28-2004, 09:06 AM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Steering box rebuild (gtr1999)

Thanks to you guys, I took off the cover last night add added alittle grease and cleaned the cover and box. It's something that's just forgotten.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Default Re: Steering box rebuild (mvftw)

If you removed the cover then I would check the lash adjustment. the screw on the cover adjusts the pitman shaft up or down. It tighens up going down when the gear is centered. If you adjusted it off center then it might be too tight on center and cause premature wear on the teeth.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Steering box rebuild

Quick Reply: Steering box rebuild