C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 08:17 AM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup?

I was thinking of running another thermostat switch into the intake manifold. Does anyone have a part # for another thermostat switch or suggestions on doing this?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:16 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup? (71stingraybigblock)

i don't know what spal uses , but i run a 195* normally open temp switch for my fans. at 195* it closes , grounding the control side of my fan relay. opens back up at 185.
you can get these switches at any commercial vehicle parts store( fleetpride, truck pro).
Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Vette-4-Life
Instructor

Default Re: has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup? (71stingraybigblock)

I use flex-a-lites VSC on my dual 11" spals. Allows you to adjust the temp that the fans turn on at. When they initially turn on they only run at 60% of speed, reducing the 'wham' factor to your charging system. If temp continues to rise then it kicks it up to 100% fan speed. It will also run the fans for 30 seconds after the car is off if temp is high. I set mine at 200 and it works great.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Zwede has designed a dual switch, multi speed setup for his Spal's, I had a copy of the schematic a couple of years ago, but it has dissapeared in all my junk.
I think Will Shepard has used it on his car also. Maybe, Zwede will see this and kindly post his diagram. :D
Old 04-27-2004, 10:44 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup? (Smokehouse69)

Zwede's design works great. Both fans run at low speed off the low temp sensor then run at high speed when the high temp sensor kicks in. Saves wear and tear on fans and uses condierably fewer amps almost all the time.
I use a 160 water thermostat and a 185 and 195 temp sensor.
Try it - you'll like it.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:25 PM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Default Re: has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup? (flynhi)

Zwede's setup sounds great. How can I get details on it?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Enad
Racer

Steve,
I'm not sure what Zwede did but I cannot imagine there are too many ways to do this. I use two switches. Check the link below. You can skip the nuisance text at the top and hit the link at the bottom for a wiring diagram. I really like they way the systems works :cool:
http://members.surfbest.net/danespace@surfbest.net/vette/radiator/index.htm

Dane
Old 04-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You could always try Dewitts they sell the Spal fans and equipment. I recently purchased another switch from him since the 185 was running all the time I went with a 195 switch. I think it was something like 20 dollars for the switch.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup? (Sigforty)

Mark, I used a slightly different approach. I went with a 170 degree thermostat, instead of the 195 degree switch. I'd still like to go to the dual speed setup like Zwede's. The diagram referred to in a previous post looks vaguely familiar, and is probably a virtual duplicate of the Zwede designed circuit. Maybe I'll go pickup another relay and try and duplicate it.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:11 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup? (Enad)

The link as posted by ENAD appears to be functionally equivalent to the Zwede setup on my 71.

Get notified of new replies

To has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup?

Quick Reply: has anyone added another thermostat switch to their spal fan setup?