C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Rob vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about pulley

Hello corvette friends I would to know if LS5 / 454 /1971 vettes came from the factory with a idle pulley between the water pump and the balancer I would like to know as I have the water pump pulley has 3 v-belt postions? the car is non/air has p/steer the car has headers and do not know if the car ever had a smog-pump thanks guys :seeya
Old 04-27-2004, 02:13 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: question about pulley (Rob vette)

Hi Rob,
It's sometimes interesting what does not get a reply.

Bubba got to my crank pulley sometime in the past so I've been looking into pulley arrangements for my '74 LS4.

What I seem to get from my AIM is that you need to balance the tension on both sides of the crank pulley. For instance if you have alternator/power steering pulleys on the drivers side then you will be tensioning the passenger side of the crank with the belt that runs from the crank, w/p, alt and p/s. You need to be able to balance that tension and since you don't have any accessories on the other side then you would need an idler pulley on a belt from the crank to the water pump. If you had A/C on the passenger side to tension in the other direction then you don't need an idler.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, a 1971 AIM (assembly manual) would show you the belt arrangements for your engine and accessories, and if you only need a 2 groove w/p pulley then the 3 groove that you don't need is worth it's weight in gold.

Finally, some more info might be helpful. It appears from your w/p pulley that you orriginally had three belt tracks. Could you describe each track as it is now? For example
track 1 - crank:w/p
track 2 - crank:w/p:alt:p/s.
You can have more than one belt on a track. I have two belts on track 3 one that goes from crank:w/p:a/c and one that runs from the alt to the p/s - I would just list two track 3's.

David

[Modified by GATOR454, 2:15 PM 4/27/2004]
Old 04-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have a friend that has a '71 LS-5, auto, very original car and his does have that "idler" pulley you mentioned. His car is also power steering & A/C, so I do not know if that matters. I do not THINK '71 LS-5 had smog-his does'nt, but his is also an automatic, if it makes any difference.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:32 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Default Re: question about pulley (Paul Borowski)

Paul,

My guess for your friends car:

2 groove crank pulley & 3 groove w/p pulley
Track 1 - crank:idler:w/p
Track 2 - crank:w/p:alt:p/s
Track 3 - w/p:a/c
Track 3 - alt:p/s

Am I close?

Generation IV idler pulleys are way to expensive to have to replace.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:07 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Rob,

My bad, I should have consulted my AIM before replying. It appears that an idler pulley was only used when the A/C was run from the water pump pulley only. Also, from the pictue you can see that a 3 groove water pump pulley was used even when only 2 grooves were needed.

Get notified of new replies

To question about pulley

Quick Reply: question about pulley