C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 01:34 AM
Twitch
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem???

Looking for thoughts...I took my '69 4 speed 350/300 out for a spin yesterday and started noticing a rattling sound (seemed to be coming from the area near my feet). The noise got louder as the RPM's increased and was present whether the car was in gear or neutral...didn't seem to notice it when I was stopped and in neutral. Also, the noise would stop when I engaged the clutch and return quickly after releasing it. I am the third owner and as far as I know, the entire clutch assembly is original (car has about 60K miles). Thanks all- Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 01:54 PM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Clutch problem??? (Twitch)

If the clutch is holding in all gears, you may want to investigate the clutch throw out bearing and or the adjustment. I don't know the exact adjustment for your transmission but its something like an inch at the clutch peddle before the throwout bearing engages. Had a similar problem with another 4 speed car I owned and by depressing the clutch slightly the noise would go away. Winded up being that the clutch bearing was riding on the pressure plate do to misadjustment and wore out the bearing. It's a sealed bearing so it just needs to be replace.

Good luck and maybe some others may have suggestions.

It's hard to pin point noises but you have to start with the easy stuff. It could also be a loose bellhousing bolt or two. I would crawl under, start it up and try to pinpoint the noise origination.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:15 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Clutch problem??? (Twitch)

:iagree: It sounds like the throwout bearing to me but it is always good to check all the bolts and adjustments to be certain.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:51 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Clutch problem??? (burners)

I had a similar problem when I bought my car and it turned out to be the anti-rattle springs on the linkage from the Z bar to the clutch fork. The forward spring was missing. Put a spring on it and the noise went away. It is a lot easier that changing a throw out bearing.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch problem???

Quick Reply: Clutch problem???