C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Third Rebuilt Chrome AC Compessor Failed The Leak Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:17 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default My Third Rebuilt Chrome AC Compessor Failed The Leak Test

Gonna try to return it tomorrow. Hard to believe I have spent so much time trying to get a chrome compressor to work. Reinstalled my ugly black one and it passed with flying colors.

I have other issues, so am going to place this on the back burner and investigate the Sanden 508. Gotta figure out the brackets and hoses.

Now on to my Qjet issues. These cars are so much fun! :rolleyes:

[Modified by OHSIXX, 11:18 PM 4/26/2004]

[Modified by OHSIXX, 11:19 PM 4/26/2004]
Old 04-27-2004, 07:34 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: My Third Rebuilt Chrome AC Compessor Failed The Leak Test (OHSIXX)

OH6, did you just try charging them 'dry', if so, you know you need spin them over some with a can of freon in there, and get those front seals to seat in a bit, if the assembly oil is dry a bit, it can leak some....the old A6 used what's known as a 'crematic' seal...meaning ceramic, and so once worn in a bit they seal like crazy for damn near ever....
I doubt it's the new freons causing troubles, as I hear that compressor is still made for trucking industry....

GENE
Old 04-27-2004, 07:39 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: My Third Rebuilt Chrome AC Compessor Failed The Leak Test (OHSIXX)

I just installed my chrome compressor this past weekend and charged the system. It doesn't leak and it's building pressure like it should but the clutch on the thing threw metal shavings all over the engine compartment and it sounds like a boat horn when it kicks in. I'm wondering whether I should try to return it or just replace the clutch. If I replace the clutch I can leave the system hooked up and not have to go through the recharging again. But it pisses you off that you spend $300 for a compressor and it doesn't work correctly. I swear if I sink any more money into this AC system I'm going to yank it out and go with a Vintage Air unit. It's just not worth the aggravation. :cuss

Get notified of new replies

To My Third Rebuilt Chrome AC Compessor Failed The Leak Test

Quick Reply: My Third Rebuilt Chrome AC Compessor Failed The Leak Test