C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's ('73)

Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's ('73)

Please bear with me guys. I'm getting an owner's manual soon. But in the interim, I'm stumped by a few things on my '73.

First of all, I see a trip odometer in front of my smiling face, but I see no way whatsoever of resetting the %*$#@ thing! ?????

Next, I've got a square key that fits the ignition & doors, and a round one that fits the rear alarm switch. In a perfect world, which of these is supposed to fit the rear-center compartment?? Or is there supposed to be a third key for this compartment?

Last but not least, is there a control for a heater here somewhere? There are two wheels on the console that move the pointer from heat, vent, defrost, etc, but is there something somewhere that is supposed to control the amount of heat coming off the heater core???

Thanks for your patience with my mewbie-C3 questions.

Tom
Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (tpiini)

I think the reset switch for the trip odometer is under the dash. the one key is for the spare tire lock
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 PM
68BLUEVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next, I've got a square key that fits the ignition & doors, and a round one that fits the rear alarm switch. In a perfect world, which of these is supposed to fit the rear-center compartment?? Or is there supposed to be a third key for this compartment?
I got my 68 wuith three keys on the chain - only one work for the ignition.

Last but not least, is there a control for a heater here somewhere? There are two wheels on the console that move the pointer from heat, vent, defrost, etc, but is there something somewhere that is supposed to control the amount of heat coming off the heater core???
The left wheel controls the function of the heater. the right wheel controls the temperature. The position switch above both wheels controls fan speed.

One other note you might need....If you are looking for the switch for the high beams. Its a foot switch located under the clutch pedal. I cursed the previous owner on his screwy wiring over my entire ride home with my new vette. I kept wondering why my high beams were flashing everytime I shifted. :banghead: - Although, now I am now finding out that I wasn't that far off base for cursing the wiring job somebody did on the thing - but for other reasons.

[Modified by 68BLUEVETTE, 10:36 PM 4/26/2004]
Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (Nowhere Man)

I think the reset switch for the trip odometer is under the dash. the one key is for the spare tire lock
Spare tire lock? I didn't even know I had one!?!?!?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Trip Odometer is under dash about 4" to the left of the headlight override switch.

Square key fits doors and ignition, round fits alarm, spare tire lock and rear compartment lock.

As said above, left controls function and right is temp.

Hope it helps.
Terry

Old 04-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Sounds like they have answered the temp and odometer questions above. But to clearify on the Keys. For '73 the square key works the ignition and the doors; the round key works the alarm, the rear storage compartment, and the spare tire lock.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 10:59 PM 4/26/2004]
Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 AM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (Tom73)

Sorry to disagree on a small point,but i am fairly sure that the square key is ignition only,the oval headed key is for everything else...john :chevy
Old 04-27-2004, 03:18 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (jdunne)

Sorry to disagree on a small point,but i am fairly sure that the square key is ignition only,the oval headed key is for everything else...john :chevy
Is there some differences between year models? In my '75 the square key fits only ignition and oval to everything else. But in my friends '73 the square key fits doors and ignition... :crazy:
Old 04-27-2004, 08:46 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (trw)

Trip Odometer is under dash about 4" to the left of the headlight override switch.
Headlight override switch???

Okay, I'll bite. I didn't know I had one of THOSE either. What exactly is THAT supposed to do???
Old 04-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Willis
Instructor

Headlight override switch???

Okay, I'll bite. I didn't know I had one of THOSE either. What exactly is THAT supposed to do???
Vacuum switch that lifts up the headlights for cleaning/maintenance without turning on the headlights.
Depending on the year, you may also have a switch for the wiper door override. Same idea as the headlight switch. Opens the wiper door without turning on the wipers.

[Modified by Willis, 1:51 PM 4/27/2004]

[Modified by Willis, 1:52 PM 4/27/2004]
Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (Willis)

hmm... I have 3 keys for my 69 plus another for the gas cap lock. I think i tried them all out when i first got the car, but dont remember exactly what they all did. I think one is for ignition and doors. The other for glove compartment and the other is possibly for the spare tire lock? lol too many keys. Where is the alarm lock located if the car was equipted?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:59 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (lostpatrolman)

I "Think" that if the '69 had an alarm, the lock was on the left fender near the "Stingray" script. It's centered on the back panel on my '73 though.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:04 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (lostpatrolman)

Where is the alarm lock located if the car was equipted?
Earlier, at least up till '72 it was in the rear. Most non-corvette people think it opens the trunk :lolg: I always get a kick out of that one. Then, at some year unknown to me, they moved it just behind the drivers front wheel before the door. Or is it the complete opposite? Ahhhh, what do I know :lol:

[Modified by tshort, 8:06 AM 4/27/2004]
Old 04-27-2004, 01:28 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

but is there something somewhere that is supposed to control the amount of heat coming off the heater core???

You may have a water shut off in the engine compartment to stop the flow, these cars run hot as is due to exhaust being right under you. OR, you may, like my '72, have a broken tab so that the cable controller doesn't work or some other problem with the heating system. not uncommon, and most of us don't use the heaters anyway. Oh, the bad news, the system is controlled by vacuum.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (FinnShark)

Is there some differences between year models? In my '75 the square key fits only ignition and oval to everything else. But in my friends '73 the square key fits doors and ignition... :crazy:
Up through '73 the square key worked the ignition and the door with the round key being for the alarm and the storage compartment. Starting with '74 the square key was for the ignition only with the round key being for the door, alarm, and storage compartment.

tom...
Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Tom73
Race Director

I "Think" that if the '69 had an alarm, the lock was on the left fender near the "Stingray" script. It's centered on the back panel on my '73 though.
The alarm key was in the center of the rear panel until they went to the rubber rear in 74 when it moved to the front fender.

tom...
Old 04-27-2004, 11:29 PM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (Tom73)

Tom,that is absolutely correct,i forgot/didnt look carefully enough to see the question related to a 73...i read it as a 75......my apologies......john :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's ('73)

Old 04-28-2004, 07:14 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (jdunne)

thats odd (if true) that the square key opens doors and ignition ,,,, on my 73 the round opens the doors-(both doors) and the only thing the square key fits is the iginition--- the round didnt even open my compartment door,,,, i had to get a new lock for the compartment,, and when i bought a NEW lock for the spare tire,,, i have another key for that ,,,so i need 4 keys for my ride, but the square key DOESNOT FIT IN THE DOORS ,,ONLY TO START IT!!!-------
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Default Re: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's (carl a)

Hmmm... I wonder if something changed in the model year. The only thing I know for sure is that my square key fits doors & ignition. :crazy:
Old 04-28-2004, 10:51 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a stock 1973. The square key opens the doors and is the ignition key. The round key does the alarm (located on the center rear panel) and the compartment door behind the seats. I'm not sure about the spare tire lock....I don't think I have one...I know there is no spare in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple of simple "How's it work?" Q's ('73)