C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Seat Belt Interlock Relay Fix, Thanks vettefixr.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default 1974 Seat Belt Interlock Relay Fix, Thanks vettefixr.........

Pulled my starter thinking it was bad. Lights would "dim" when I had them on while trying to crank the engine. All signs that I knew of pointed to a locked up starter, so after 30yrs & 43K miles I thought, well, it's due anyways. So, I had my original one rebuilt($53), re-installed it and nothing. Then I remebered "vettefixr's" '74 Interlock Relay "By-pass" modification. Since my '74 is an early car(VIN #01950), my relay internally was slightly different than his, but the principle was the same. After I made my "neat" Bubba fix, installed the relay cover, no one can tell-now I can fasten my seatbelt AFTER I start the car :lolg: Drove it over 200mi this weekend and it's GREAT :D I wonder how many '74/early '75 GM models with this stupid thing left people stranded :confused: I for one will never be because of it :lolg:
Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: 1974 Seat Belt Interlock Relay Fix, Thanks vettefixr......... (Paul Borowski)

I'm glad i could be of help Paul. I know how you feel. The first time mine started going bad was when I was in line at the drive up teller. :rofl: Not a great place to be stuck with a car that wouldn't start. For anyone who has a 74 and would like to do this "fix" before your car leave you stranded, here's the link to my website. It's really simple and it looks completely stock.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page16.htm

[Modified by vettfixr, 7:48 AM 4/26/2004]
Old 04-26-2004, 12:42 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1974 Seat Belt Interlock Relay Fix, Thanks vettefixr......... (Paul Borowski)

...now I can fasten my seatbelt AFTER I start the car ...
I can start the car without the seat belt. But if I put the tranny in drive the alarm goes nuts....reverse has no alarm. To the best of my knowledge, car has not been touched by Bubba yet. Should I leave it as is :confused:
Old 04-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: 1974 Seat Belt Interlock Relay Fix, Thanks vettefixr......... (desi)

...now I can fasten my seatbelt AFTER I start the car ...

I can start the car without the seat belt. But if I put the tranny in drive the alarm goes nuts....reverse has no alarm. To the best of my knowledge, car has not been touched by Bubba yet. Should I leave it as is :confused:
Your relay must already be "by-passed". A correctly functioning '74 DID NOT start UNTIL you fastened your seat belts. Also, if your passenger jumped in BEFORE you started cranking the engine and did not buckle up, your starter would'nt operate either. The seat belt alarm will go off in drive, but not reverse, when it's operating properly.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:07 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So everything is the way I want it. I like it when things get fixed and I don't have to do anything. :D

Thanks for the info :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 Seat Belt Interlock Relay Fix, Thanks vettefixr.........

Quick Reply: 1974 Seat Belt Interlock Relay Fix, Thanks vettefixr.........