C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligning 68 grills

Old 04-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aligning 68 grills

Oh my God! What a PITA!!!! The front bumper protectors and rear bumpers are still at the chrome shop so I decided to adjust/ install the new grills and grill chrome. Not only did I have to dremel off 5 pounds of fiberglass to get the chrome to sit in correctly but all the brackets needed serious manipulation so they sat exactly even in relation to the other and also exactly within the opening/ chrome trim. It is so damn complicated! If one bracket is angled just 5 degrees off it puts the whole grill out of whack. I had my next door neighbor weld some of the brackets and weld nuts to them, sorry NCRS guys no rivets here. Sorry I have no pics but someone borrowed the Mavica. Finally after starting Friday the chrome/ and grills are perfect according to my AIM and hundreds of pics I took for refrence. I just hope the bumper protectors go in smooth and aren't tweaked. **** is my middle name.

:lol: :lol:
Old 04-25-2004, 10:42 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Aligning 68 grills (Cali,68,L-79)

Cali,
They weren't straight from the Factory, you should have known why..... :D :D
I spent several days getting the door gaps right by shimming the body after I had mine painted.
It does look better that way but we need the "Not Correctly Restored" decals for them now.
:jester
Old 04-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aligning 68 grills (RHD '68 L89)

Well one good note is when I'm ready to paint I can take off all the chrome, rocker panels gas cap and everything else in under an hour. Experience can be painful but at least I know my body work inside and out.

Get notified of new replies

To Aligning 68 grills

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aligning 68 grills