C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oring Usage in the Steering Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 06:08 PM
MRKearney
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oring Usage in the Steering Assembly

I connected my steering cylinder, power steering pump and power steering valve today (all new). After completion I noticed two white packages containing one oring each laying on the floor. The orings were buna 10 & 11 in size. I think they may have been in the hose boxes. Anyone know where these orings go?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Oring Usage in the Steering Assembly (MRKearney)

I think that I may know the use of at least one of the o-rings in the bag.

In 1980 most General Motors vehicles converted to metric, o-ring power steering hose connections. Since the C3 Corvette was being replaced in 1984 by the C4 model with rack and pinion, it was decided that Corvette only parts (i.e. control valve and assist cylinder) would remain with conventional fittings and flare connectors.

Since the pump was common with other GM vehicles, it was converted from a 5/8 inch male nut and 45 degree flare to a 16X1.5mm male nut with a o-ring seal (same as the rest of GM). So if you have a 1980-82 Vette, the o-ring would be to replace the one on the pressure hose connector to the pump.

I do not know what the second o-ring would be use for.

BTW, when GM converted to metric o-rings. The pump connection was always a male 16X1.5 metric nut, the high pressure gear connection was converted to a male 18X1.5mm nut. The formed tubing on both hose ends took the same o-ring.

Quick Reply: Oring Usage in the Steering Assembly