C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this cause a missfire?

Old 04-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Could this cause a missfire?

#7 was rubbing against the header... I need to think of a better way to get it routed.. there's not much room in there.
-Steve
Old 04-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Could this cause a missfire? (Pacin'California)

Oh yeah, that would cause a misfire. The first time I took my girlfriend out in my 79, by the time we got to where we were going I had a misfire. When we arrived I raised the hood with the motor running and could see the wire arcing to the exhaust manifold. I just pulled the wire away and tied it back until I could get the car back home to fix it. Pretty embarassing to me but she never knew what was going on.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Could this cause a missfire? (Eddie 70)

Running without a wire is ok?

I'm gonna head over to the parts store and pick up a box of cheapos until I can afford good looms.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:22 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Yes that burn spot on the boot will cause a misfire. :yesnod: I have proved this myself. I recommend some boot/wire protectors and I bought mine from summit for <$50 (they look like a sock but u can buy them in different collors to match your wires).
It's my personal opinion but I think any good 7.5 or 8mm silicone wires with wire wound spiral core will do a fine job. I just don't think the expensive name brand stuff is worth the difference in price. ;)
Old 04-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve,

Absolutely! Was doing a check of my plug wires tonight too. My number one plug was very gas fouled. I measured the exhaust temp about 1 inch below the flange on each of the primary header pipes while idling at a somewhat fast 3000rpm. My #1 was 580 degrees F, the others were about 890-950 degrees F. I put this plug wire on my ohm meter and found a measure of 1.948 compared to a measure of only .125 with the old MSD wires. Touching the connecters together makes a measurement of .000. My current wires are Jacobs ceramic wires guaranteed for life. I think I need a replacement.

Chuck
Old 04-26-2004, 08:28 AM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Could this cause a missfire? (Chuck Harmon)

For anyone wants a cheap trick, I usually found my wire short by using a mirror at night and look for the arcs. Hard to see during the day time but at night it's very clear where your problem is. Another tip is to use a timing light to check each each wire. The one that doesn't have a steady pulse could either be a cap, wire or plug problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Could this cause a missfire?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could this cause a missfire?