C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running rich, a bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:20 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich, a bad thing?

I have been farting around with my 850dp and the four corner idle screws. When all four are turned out about 1 complete turn the motor seems to idle the best, but it puffs some black smoke. When I turn them in about 1/2 turn out it goes away but seems to not idel as well and the low speed throttle response is not as good. I looked at my old exhaust pipes after putting on the side pipes and the inside was jet black, am I doing any major damage by running a little rich?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:31 PM
checklst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Running rich, a bad thing? (467-Ratman)

Theirs and old saying better a little rich than lean!!! You are doing no damage(as long as its not way over the top rich) way to rich she could start to wash the cyl walls of oil, but you say she is idling good. Normally rich enough to wash cyl walls would not idle so well. The best way is to run it a 50-100 miles and check the plugs thay will tell you all you need to know :seeya
Old 04-25-2004, 02:39 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Running rich, a bad thing? (467-Ratman)

Theirs and old saying better a little rich than lean!!!

I really like to keep them on the lean side. This is one of the reason new cars run so long. A lean motor runs cleaner and puts out more power, gets better gas mileage, less polution and doesn't load up.
The qualifying engine for Nascar use to run leaner and hotter just to put out the little extra for qualifying.
I run 15-1 cruising and 13-1 on the throttle with my blown engine.
I definitely wouldn't want my pipes to look black and sooty after a highway run.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:20 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Running rich, a bad thing? (norvalwilhelm)

My expertise is not motors... but doesn't lean create othegr issues? I always heard run rich too. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Running rich, a bad thing?

Quick Reply: Running rich, a bad thing?