C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you set timing with vacum advance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 AM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you set timing with vacum advance

ive been told that you set your timing with out the distibitor hooked up, is this true and what port should i hook it up to after i have the timing set on my 750 edelbrok. i have a 280 duration and a 525 lift. is that considered radical or just pretty big? :grouphug:
Old 04-25-2004, 09:07 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: how do you set timing with vacum advance (gravismaximus)

Your cam choice isn't "radical." As far as timing, disconnect the vacuum advance line when you set initial timing. In theory, if it is hooked to the correct port, you'll have no vacuum to the can at idle, but over the years, they are often hookud up to a full-time vacuum port. Find a port on your carburetor, usually the highest one, that has no vacuum at idle and you're there.

Hope this helps, tom
Old 04-25-2004, 09:36 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how do you set timing with vacum advance (gravismaximus)

Go get a copy of Lars timing paper at http://www.corvettefaq.com. It'll explain the "right" way to do timing. :yesnod:
Old 04-25-2004, 10:48 AM
First79vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how do you set timing with vacum advance (page62)

I just went through this yesterday (sat.) I had mine hooked up to the drivers side and had a hell of a time with it because thats the way I understood the D#$%n directions, :crazy: I asked on here and was helped by these fine folks, hooked it up to the pass side/higher port and HOLY CRAZING COWS! reset the timing and it was 200% better, actually you can drive it now and when she shifts into second I thought the front end was going to come off the pavement. :yesnod: I have a Lunati bracket master 2 with 282 duration with 458 of lift on the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To how do you set timing with vacum advance

Quick Reply: how do you set timing with vacum advance