C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Mullj76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering problem

I recently rebuilt the front end of my 77 to include new control valve, P/S pump, cyclinder and hoses. The car had a floating "feel" and then after about 50 miles of driving both the low side and the high side hoses came out of the "hose crimp". The hoses have quite mangled ends. Any suggestions to remedy the problem or problems would be appreciated. I did not see a place for adjustment. Being a novice, I probably put it back together wrong. Thank You Jim
Old 04-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Power steering problem (Mullj76)

I suggest that you buy new hoses from your local Chevrolet Parts Dept. The GM hoses are more of a robust design than the hoses that come with the kits.
I think they refer to them as tubes.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Power steering problem (Steve Grodin)

Did you center the control valve with the "power piston" (sorry on my 7th margarita) disconnected?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power steering problem (Mullj76)

1). The Corvette steering system always used power steering pumps with pressure relief limited to 900/1000 psi. A lot of other GM power steering systems used pumps with 1450 psi pressures. I know that the Corvette power steering hoses were only validated at 1000 psi. Make sure that your pump is limited to 1000 psi and not one of the higher pressure reliefs.

2). Regardless of the pump pressure relief setting, that pressure should have no affect whatsoever on the low pressure return hose. Make sure that you don't have some kind of restriction inside the pipe on the back of the pump that the return hose connects to.

3). Are you sure that you routed the hoses per the Corvette AIM book directions. In other words, are you sure that as you steered your car, the motion of the control valve on the linkage didn't somehow pull on the hoses so that it was a mechanical "pull" that caused them to separate.

4). Some kind of restriction in the power steering system could cause the pump to work against a constant high back pressure and cause the system to overheat. Steering fluid temperatures should normally be in the 180 - 200 degree F range. Temperatures in the 300 degree range could quickly destroy the hoses and rubber hydraulic seals in the system. Make sure that you don't have any "kinks" in the rubber hoses or in the power steering hose pipes.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 04-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Mullj76
Intermediate

Default Re: Power steering problem (Jim Shea)

Jim, I appreciate your reply. I have a few days off work and plan on checking out your suggestions. Thanks. Jim
Old 04-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Mullj76
Intermediate

Default Re: Power steering problem (Steve Grodin)

Probably great advice. Thank You Jim
Old 04-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Mullj76
Intermediate

Default Re: Power steering problem (Cali,68,L-79)

No. I did not know you had to do that. I will check it out. Thank you Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering problem

Quick Reply: Power steering problem