C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 09:19 PM
82Red
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel spacer question

Are longer lug nuts necessary with 1/2" wheel spacers? I am getting 20x8 aftermarket rims that have 4 1/2" backspacing (1/2" further in than the 4" stock backspacing).

[Modified by 82Red, 8:19 PM 4/24/2004]
Old 04-24-2004, 09:48 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Wheel spacer question (82Red)

I don't like lug nuts that are not threaded all the way through. Look at a normal theaded closed end lug nut and the head has a real stress riser where it drops from the wrench size to the shank. This has always bothered me. Also with closed lug nuts how can you tell how much thread are actually engaged.
You add 1/2 inch spacers and sure your lug nuts might still engage SOME thread but really how much.
If I was going for 1/2 inch spacers I would also go for long studs, larger studs, step up to 1/2 inch from the present 7/16 and go for open ended lug nuts.
I also like the looks of the long stud/open end.
I would not go with stock studs, 1/2 inch spacer and stock closed lug nuts.
Also be sure to use a torque wrench on all studs and if they don't take the proper torque then something is wrong. I use 85 pounds as my standard torque and any nut not meeting this is discarded.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:48 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest an adapter an not a spacer.

An adapter gets bolted down onto your existing lugs and then has offset lugs which you use to mount your wheels to. They are the same pattern as your 5 x 4 3/4 existing lugs and can be bought from many places now on the internet and also at VBP (supporting forum vendor).

I would suggest 3/4 inch adapters as this will move your wheels out 1/4 inch and give you a more agressive stance-that is if fender clearance isn't a problem with your lowering. Lower profile tires dont run as wide in the sidewall for the same 255 for example dimension. I think 3/4 will allow mounting wheels without cutting of your exising lug bolts.

If you go 1/2 inch adapters, you might have to cut the lug bolts flush to the new mounting face depth so your wheels can mount up without interference. This lug cutting is done by some Chevy ZR2 crowd folks without problems to space the tires out slightly. Your lug nuts will still be captured 100% by the lug threads.

Once you do this though, you cannot go back to OEM wheels as your original lugs are now shorter.

Brent...
Old 05-01-2004, 09:26 AM
LENNIE
Heel & Toe

very scary!! I think corvette central sells wheel ADAPTERS for the larger rims.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:43 AM
spikezz4
Pro

It's expensive, but you could have a CNC machine shop make four spaces with the GM center flange. That way the spacer is centered, always in the same place, and all 4 wheels can be balanced. Best extend those lug nuts, too. You need at least one to two turns outside the nut for safety issues.
Spike

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel spacer question

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer question