C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:51 AM
thevetterisbetter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers?

I talked to the rep and he said, "loosen, then tighten and one half turn."
What are your guys experience with these?
Also, how does the hex screw in the center work as far as tightening and loosening? Do you guys just do it with the valve covers off while the engine is running?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers? (thevetterisbetter)

If you have a Hyd. cam you have to have the engine running. Loosen the adjuster until you hear the rocker tapping. Then tighten until it goes away. Then go 1/2 turn after that. Do one at a time and take your time. You should get some clips so the oil does not spalsh all over. They attach to the top of the rocker arm and deflect the oil. I use a valve cover cut in half to catch the oil so it does not run all over the engine.

[Modified by Gordonm, 11:22 AM 4/24/2004]
Old 04-24-2004, 05:44 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

the clips work, the valve cover trick is great .but i dont have either i use a old towel to hold down the spray .
Old 04-24-2004, 07:28 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers? (terry82)

You don't "have" to have the car running. An alternate method is to rotate the engine to #1 TDC (easy to see, both #1 valves closed, timing mark at 0) then you can adjust all of the valves that are on their base circle. Then rotate to #6 TDC (one full turn) and do the same to the rest. Sorry I don't have the list off the top of my head. Hopefully somebody else will chime in?

-Chris
Old 04-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Default Re: Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers? (LiveandLetDrive)

You don't "have" to have the car running. An alternate method is to rotate the engine to #1 TDC (easy to see, both #1 valves closed, timing mark at 0) then you can adjust all of the valves that are on their base circle. Then rotate to #6 TDC (one full turn) and do the same to the rest. Sorry I don't have the list off the top of my head. Hopefully somebody else will chime in?

-Chris
That method works good for initial fire up but if you have had pressure on the lifters they can bleed down and this will affect you setting. You can do it this way but it is safer to do it with the engine running. I just helped a freind with a cam install and head change and I setup the valves the way you said. I was right on but adjusted them running after the cam broke in. These were also new lifters.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:27 PM
thevetterisbetter
Pro

Default Re: Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers? (Gordonm)

Thanks for the replies.
Anyone know where I can get the clips? Comp Cams or Summit?
Also what loosens which the inner hex screw or outer nut? I'm a novice to this part. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

The inner hex screw is a lock. The outer nut does the adjusting. Crack the inner hex screw and the outer nut will be able to turn more freely. Once it is set hold the outer nut while turning the hex screw tight. Don't let the outer nut turn or this will change your adjustment. Lock down the hex screw and you should be good to go.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:07 AM
white74
Intermediate

I think it would be easier using one of these valve lash adjusting tools, but I have never used one what do you think. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=SUM%2D906781

Get notified of new replies

To Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers?

Quick Reply: Tightening Comp Cams Roller Rockers?