C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing my '80 over to true duals, what all will I need? (Dallas guys-chime in)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 06:17 PM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Changing my '80 over to true duals, what all will I need? (Dallas guys-chime in)

As I understand it, this should be the last time I'm required to undergo an emissions inspection, so I want to change over to true duals once I pass the final sniffer test. (Dallas guys, if I'm wrong about the emissions thing, let me know!)

Assuming my emissions info was correct, what all am I going to need to make the conversion? I know there's a crossmember with provisions for duals (where can I buy this?) What else do I need to get?

Old 04-23-2004, 07:35 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Changing my '80 over to true duals, what all will I need? (PartTimeGenius)

It depends on how you are going to register and license your vette. If you keep the regular plates, I believe you still have to get it checked. If you go to Antique plates, you don't need emissions or safety checks.

Even though there are certain restrictions with antique plates, they are not strictly enforced.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:21 PM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Changing my '80 over to true duals, what all will I need? (USA SHARK)

I intend to keep it as a daily driver, but if what you're saying is true, I'm apparently stuck with that constipated factory exhaust setup. I thought after all this time the emissions statute of limitations would've finally expired. :banghead:
Old 04-23-2004, 09:31 PM
L79vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Changing my '80 over to true duals, what all will I need? (PartTimeGenius)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=805424

A single 3" pipe is pretty free flowing. Equivalent pipe area to 2 1/8" duals, but better than the equivalent duals because each exhaust pulse sees the entire area instead of just half. I'd love to see a dyno comparison of a properly done 2-1-2 system versus true duals.

Look at this: http://www.castheads.com . If you are running exhaust manifolds, this is an eye-opener.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CRUSHER75060 just had true dual exhaust and dual cats installed on his '81. It passed inspection/sniffer in Irving. You might message him for more 411.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:56 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

mid -america catalog has a tru dual set up for your car .have heard that it does not fit well with out some work on it . but you could look at it and have one made for your car . the 2-1-2 that you have is not all that bad, the bad part is your cat. replace with the new type or MODIFY yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing my '80 over to true duals, what all will I need? (Dallas guys-chime in)

Quick Reply: Changing my '80 over to true duals, what all will I need? (Dallas guys-chime in)